Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cant figure out how to work this thing!!

Options
I live in an old college dorm studio and I have a steam heated radiator (at least I think it is). Here's a pic   

<a href="http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff69/camera15/Decorated%20images/CIMG0428.jpg">http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff69/camera15/Decorated%20images/CIMG0428.jpg</a>

There is a knob on the bottom right and on the left side... How do I turn this thing on?? Its cold at night and Id really like to sleep warm tonight... Thanks in advance

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Radiator

Hi-  The "thing" is a steam radiator on a one pipe steam system. (See attached picture)

The item marked "Valve" is on the steam pipe connected ot the radiator.  The position of this valve is fully open or fully closed but  never half way. Generally you leave this valve fully open at all times.

If you are standing over it and looking down at the valve - turning it in an anti-closckwise  direction opens the valve and clock wise direction closes the valve. The first thing you need to do is turn it fully open and see if that makes a difference.

The item in the red circle is the vent. Could you take a picture of just this vent so we can see more detail. It's hard to identify it in your picture but it looks like what is called aTRV (Thermostaic Radiator Valve)   Are there any numbers on the item in the red circle? The higher the number set, the higher the heat. The lowest number is about 42 degrees and the highest about 85 so that will give you an idea of where you should want the setting.

The change in heat isn't immediate and may not  take place till the next heat cycle ( 1/2 hour?)

How this radiator works- When the boiler is not operating, the radiator and pipes are full of air. When the boiler starts making steam, the steam enters the piping but the air filling the radiator stands in the way of the steam getting into the radiator. To get steam into the radiator we must get the air out first.  The item in the circle is a radiator vent which allows the air out of the radiator but closes when the steam reaches it to keep the steam inside the radiator. Once the radiator is filled with steam, the steam starts condensing back to water which gives off heat to the iron radiator. The water then flows back to the boiler though the valve and piping. (The steam coming into the radiator is in  the top half of the pipe and the water goes out in the bottom half of the pipe- That's why this valve must be full open or the steam and the water collide)

Check out that the valve is fully open and the item in the circle is set to a medium high setting and let us know how that works for you.

- Rod
  • camera15
    camera15 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi.

Thanks for helping. Here is a picture of the vent. The only number on it is a 0.  I just opened the valve all the way so we'll see how that works...

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    RE

Looks like that TRV air vent has a lockable set screw. You might have to take that screw out a few turns to adjust it, or sometimes you can pull the entire white handle out before turning. The number 0 represents "no or little venting". You'll want that number to be higher than that.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    TRV's

Hay Camera Guy, are your two photos,  taken of the same radiator/TRV ? It must be my eyes!
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,734
    Options
    Is the pipe

behind the radiator getting hot?  If they aren't making steam yet its not going to matter how fast that vents you won't get heat.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    that was my question

Are you sure the boiler is on?
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    TRV

Hi - As others have mentioned you have a TRV which is great as it gives you much more control of the heat in that room than just having a radiator vent. It looks fairly new too which means is is probably operating fine.  Right now it is set at the number zero which means it is turned off.  Try turning the adjustment knob and see what the maximum setting is and then turn it down a couple of numbers from that. With a little trial and error,you should be able to determine what numbers work best for you. You probably want to decide on a "day number " and possibly a lower (cooler) "night number" for sleeping.   I think this is a TRV made by Istec and what was mentioned as a possible locking screw is just the end of the shaft. 

The TRV only controls the amount of steam going into your radiator so the steam must be present (the boiler turned on) in the system piping for it to work. In your picture there is what is probably a steam pipe which provides heat to another room.  As Chris mentioned feeling this pipe for heat might be a good way to test to see if the system boiler is operating and the steam is turned on.  Careful ! Steam pipes can get really hot!

The TRV should be used as the only adjustment control including "On" and "OFF"  on the radiator. Leave the valve of the steam pipe "ON" (Open) at all times.

- Rod
  • camera15
    Options
    yup

Yessir,

Same radiator.
  • camera15
    Options
    Thanks

Thank you. Ill check for the locking screw as soon as I get home. It got a little warm last night, but I had to touch the radiator to feel it. So, I guess the boiler is on, but Im not sure since I live in a dormitory...
This discussion has been closed.