Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Small renovation: replace 1930's radiator with?

ibilisi
ibilisi Member Posts: 2
Hello all, I need some help deciding on heating options for a small renovation that will remove an old cast-iron radiator.

Main question is, do I utilize a "staple-up" system to heat the space or utilize a series of Runtal or similar panel radiators? My wife would prefer the staple-up but I'm not sure that is the best way to proceed. Additional information below. Any help/thoughts is/are appreciated!

Note that additional insulation to wall cavities will take place later this year or early next.

Garret

I am adding a door to my kitchen, which will move a cast-iron radiator that is 660mm tall and around 27 fins. Estimate that to be ~6700-6900 BTU (based simply on an online calculator so possibly useless). Floor of kitchen is linoleum over 1" tongue and groove.

I am also adding a small pantry and bathroom.

Kitchen is ~8'4"h X 9'w X 16'l

Bath/powder 8'4"h X 5'w x 6'l

Pantry 8'4"'h x 3'w X 4'l

These rooms are on the north side of my house, built 1930, true 2x4 walls with no cavity insulation, Minneapolis MN.

I plan on adding either CCspf or Cellulose to cavity during renovation. Other walls in the house will have to use cellulose and will do so after renovation is complete.

I am in the process of removing the old basement ceiling to the joists and will have access. Basement is not insulated at this time, on tap is 2" XPS on floor ~R20 on walls (basement insulation wall build not decided).

Boiler is a 1960's boiler, iron radiators.
This discussion has been closed.