Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing Steam Vents

Arthur219
Arthur219 Member Posts: 1
I would like to replace all the steam vents in my house. I live in New Jersey, I have a gas-fired steam boiler system with radiators. The home was built in the late 1920's. The previous owner replaced all the vents with adjustable vents and the result is the system is very unbalanced. Major temperature fluctuations between rooms and floors. So, I purchased 10 Maid-o-Mist 1/8" angle valves. I removed tow existing vents and am unable to screw the new vents on to the radiators. The old ones fit fine. I went back to the store (HD) and the clerk told me that it is common to have to re-thread the radiators. Is this true? I don't want to find myself in a situation where I have ruined one of my radiators due to HD "help". Its getting chilly and my wife is home with our new son. Thanks, Arthur.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Improvements to air venting

I would check the main air vents first.

The radiator air vents will never vent the air out of the whole system, without burning extra fuel.

Describe your main supply piping, with pictures, and we can tell you what additional, or replacement main venting you should have.

The main air vents should let the air escape at a low back-pressure of a couple of ounces to fill the pipes first, and then the radiator vents will handle the air removal in the risers and radiators.

Another thing to check would be the operating pressure, which if too high will prevent the main vents from functioning.--NBC
This discussion has been closed.