Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

DIg? Bigger Header|? Both?

Jonah
Jonah Member Posts: 18
Hello. This forum seems give access to the true authorities on steam heating, which is why I'm here. My wife and I bought a nice(cheap) old house with a dead boiler. We can't stand the idea of paying oil fuel prices and so have decided on coal instead. Our heating system is one-pipe steam. There are few coal boiler manufacturers that have a steam option, and of those one is far cheaper (yet reputable and well reviewed) than the others.

But we have a problem, I think... The boiler size we need, which was determined through edr calculations, is tall with a high nwl (50"). The lowest wet return is 62" from floor and the lowest steam main is 72 1/2" . I figured a dropped header would be necessary, but I understand the header should be 24" above nwl? There is not even 24" from the top of the boiler to the lowest(or highest) steam main!

What can be done? Do I need to dig a hole in my basement? Can I just drop the header close to the top of the boiler and make sure it is really big to allow space for both steam and all the condensate?

I have ordered "The Lost Art of Steam Heating" by Mr. Holohan, but until it arrives I am at the mercy of people I can ask a million questions.
This discussion has been closed.