Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

main pitch

Options
ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,695
Before I build my new header I think I may have to correct a problem with my shorter 11' main.  It appears the first section of it is pitched back towards the header.  On a pipe this short is this a concern or should I just leave it alone?

It seems like I will need to break the one elbow loose in order to change its pitch as the entire main will not flex enough.

I've attached two pictures to try and show what I am talking about.  I am sorry they are not the best.  One is actually from before we bought the house.  The first picture the main in question is in the backround.  You can see the elbow to the left of the chimney is higher than the end of the main near the header.  The second picture is after I removed the header but the main stayed in the same position.

Both mains are parrelle feed and have returns on the ends.
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Pitch

Hi Chris-  Are you just talking about the short piece at the beginning of the main? If so it shouldn't be a problem. Think of it as just an "extension" of the riser coming up from the header.

If the section included a radiator lateral and the radiator condensate flowed counterflow back to the boiler then I think it might be cause for concern.

- Rod
  • ChrisJ
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Yep

Just the 8-10 foot pipe at the beginning.

My assumption was that has to be dumping water back into the header when the boiler first fires up and the pipe is cold.  No radiators are pipped into it so I guess its not such a big deal.

We may have to modify the length of that pipe, if we do I might try and correct the issue other wise I'll just leave it alone.

I'm going to TRY and get the two risers to the mains from the header straight rather then crooked like they were.  You know me, its gotta be perfect :).

Two pictures there of the chimney that is about to be destroyed. :(  I'm not happy about that though even in those pictures it does look small.  Thats the wider dimension shown too!
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Polycarp
    Polycarp Member Posts: 135
    Options
    insulation

It seems that if you do leave it as a counterflow pipe, then insulation becomes much more important in order to minimize condensation in that pipe.  You want it to be a pipe, not a radiator.
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    edited September 2011
    Options
    11 Foot main

Is this the end of the eleven foot main?  I got the pic from your main vent post.  It looks like it has slope to the return.  No?  Or is it high in the center and low at each end.  Have you put a line or laser level on it yet?  Laser makes it a one man job.  30 bucks with magnet, sell you mine :)

Maybe you could put in a hanger at this end, a 4x4 post against the joist in the middle, and jack up the boiler end.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    yep

Thats the one crash.  Its pitched correctly most of the way its just the first section which is wrong.
This discussion has been closed.