Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Max Vent Length

Options
Capnemo
Capnemo Member Posts: 6
I'm having either an RC80i or RC98i installed.  The vent will come out and terminate about 2 - 3 feet below an open deck.  Is this a problem with carbon monoxide?  If so how far can I run the vent pipe to get it out from under the deck?  The deck is 14' wide.  I can move the water heater if need be, but it will be farther from my original hot water tank site.

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options

In NJ, it's against code to vent under a deck. It's also not advisable to run the exhaust pipe any great distance in an unconditioned space because you could freeze the condensation inside the pipes. I would keep looking for another option. It's not always easy, but there is usually some way to do it.
  • Capnemo
    Options
    Max Vent Length

Thanks for the info.  I have a four foot walkway to get to the deck around the corner from the deck.  Hopefully I can vent it under that.
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Max vent length is 41' equiv.

90=6', 45=3' If the deck is high and open on the sides, the vent can be terminated 3' below the deck. You must maintain your clearance above the ground however. Whenever you look at venting any appliance in a "commonly used" area you have to consider whether or not it is going to be an inconvenience. Your call there. I have had success running the vent pipe to the front edge of the deck, BUT, the vent pipe must be sleeved with 6" sch 40 pvc, graded properly and the support has to be bomb proof. Any kid who can get under the porch/deck makes a fort. Any conveniently located pipe is a swing. If you do this, you have to make sure the pipe will not move.

In looking at relocating the water heater, the big issue is to try to get it closer to the primary load
  • Capnemo
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Max Vent Length

Thanks for the info.  The deck is at least 10" above ground so no way for anyone to get to the pipe if I stretch it across.  I could vent the heater lower on the wall and get another two feet or even more below the deck if I had to do so.  That would put me well below the deck surface. 
This discussion has been closed.