Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is oil-fired boiler more effective for steam than gas-fired?

Options
2»

Comments

• Hoog23
    Hoog23 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Did you ever complete this project?

Just curious.
  • Westport_Johnny
    Westport_Johnny Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Yes, Job finally complete!

Yes, finally.

While its taken 3 months longer than expected, its done and working great!  Short explanation for the delay below in italics (skip to straight font if you aren't interested in that part of the journey).

As shown in this thread, I researched the conversion in late Sept, vetted contractors in early Oct, and settled on one to do the work in mid Oct (someone who several plumbing jobs at my house in since I bought in '07 and was also listed by SoConnGas on their NatGas conversion literature as a qualified contractor).  After handing over a deposit, I dealt with a bizarre turn of events that lead to months of wasted time.  In short, the guy had issues... I wanted to be loyal and wait for him, but enough was enough and moved on (fortunately I got my deposit back, however given the guy wasn't communicating that wasn't easy).

Eventually spoke to SoConnGas rep and was given a personal reco to a larger Heating co which, while more expensive than the initial contractor, the price was reasonably, the company was very responsive, they scheduled the install for the same week I called them, and really did things right.  Moreover, not only did I get good installation service, but I have peace of mind knowing they keep parts on the truck and are reputable for service, received a real warranty on parts & labor, and they tossed in 3 yrs of annual service inspections.  (I'll manage my expectations / probably unfair to compare them vs. the great oil company I've been working with... as I've said before, they've been extraordinary)

Anyhow, the new Carlin EZ Gas is running great, per the printout reading its firing at 82.6% AFUE, which is almost equal to the 83.6% I was getting with the Carlin Pro oil burner.  Given that NatGas is pretty cheap these days (heard prices are down 32% since start of 2011, and with supply high unlikely to rise a lot in near future) while my heating oil deliveries are coming in at around $3.85 per gallon (and we were using ~1700 gallons per year), I am confident it will pay back in no time.

While its too bad lost a few months / missed out on savings as I waited on the 1st plumber who flaked, but what's done is done... in the end I am very pleased with the way things turned out.

Thanks again to all the experts who provided guidance along the way!
  • Westport_Johnny
    Options
    Fast payback on conversion to Nat Gas

For those considering conversion, payback can be fast.  This month I saved HUGE vs. cost of oil. 

Specifically, this month I used 409 CCF, which cost me $447.68 (before converting I was using 2 CCF / $17 per month for stove use). So, about $430 this month for heating.

For the same period I would have consumed ~295 gallons of oil for heating (historically about 9.5 per day during Jan / Feb). 

Assuming oil price ~$3.85 / gallon, this month's savings is over $700!!!!  As originally estimated, the payback is essentially 1 winter.

Very happy indeed- burner / boiler efficiency virtually the same as oil, and the house feels the same, so savings without a decrease performance.  What more can one ask for.

My only regret is not getting it done at the start of the season- oh well / better late than never!
  • stevep
    stevep Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Payback

Yes, the payback is quick. Our oil fired boiler failed a couple years ago, thankfully in the early fall so we had the luxury of taking our time and investigating natural gas. The data we found suggested something like a 3-4yr payback if I remember correctly. Well after two seasons the savings has pretty much paid for the new system.

As an added bonus I got more floor space in my workshop by getting rid of the oil tank.  And also worth mentioning is how much quieter our gas boiler is. The old oil boiler with the Becket blower was friggn' obnoxious...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Westport_Johnny
    Options
    Good for you!

Happy to hear you had a fast payback.  Great when the matter can be tackled early in the season, when the temps aren't frigid and one can take their time to make an educated decision, get the work done, and realize a full season of savings in first yr.

(In my case I didn't have the luxury of waiting... then again, no regrets as the oil company that serviced me 2007-2011 was, and remains, the tops.  Its just with the movement of heating oil prices vis-a-vis nat gas, combined with the fact that I already have gas lines to the house, the cost differential was too great to continue with #2 heating oil.)

In my case the payback's even faster as it was only a conversion, not an entire system replacement (and no need to invest in chimney liner), and with that a lower overall cost.  In simplified terms, the job was essentially bringing over gas lines, swap out the burner, change the exhaust connection to include double-swing feature, and add the safety switch.  Not a huge investment in parts, although it did take a day's labor.

To the extent anyone has gas delivery and a system that can convert easily (and work efficiently) with gas I'd highly recommend... also, if anyone has gas delivery and their system is on its last legs and needs replacement, its the way to go.  Again, my Smith boiler, which feeds steam through my house, apparently works equally well with oil-fired and gas-fired burners.
This discussion has been closed.