Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

misthreaded txv

Options
So I was replacing a bolt on txv and misthreaded it!!!  I have been unable to clean the threads enough to get a proper bite.  I don't want to replace the evap coil and trash a brand new $150 txv.  Please help!!!  Do these things have a typical thread pattern found in plumbing compression fitting? I am nervous to try threading one of those on for fear that I might foul it beyond repair. 

Comments

• bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Options
    Bolt?

Are you asking about a bolt or a flare nut? Is the thread male or female? Is the thread on the coil or the txv? Don,t use plumbing flare fittings on refrigeration, you need forged flare nuts.
    bob
  • townsquarehvac
    townsquarehvac Member Posts: 6
    Options
    misthreaded txv

Its a bolt on, not a flare fitting. It looks like the problem is on the male thread from the coil, but I'm pretty sure that the female threads will need some cleaning up.  When I screw something up, I make sure that its really screwed up.  I'm an overachiever that way.
  • archibald tuttle
    archibald tuttle Member Posts: 1,085
    Options
    rethreading kit?

i'd go to harbor freight -- or if you want a better long lasting kit a good fastener supply house and get a rethreading kit.

for rethreading the male studs on the coil these 'dies' are made up with hex bodies the same size as the nut you are trying to put on but they are made to recut the thread.

obviously you need to be cautious in the application and try to get it to run straight and find the threads that are good below the one that is screwed up, but they are designed to accomplish that.

The set will also have shanks designed to recut the thread in your nut, or you can buy another nut at the fastener house mentioned above.

I'm presming this is a flange style joint so you have several other nuts that aren't cross threaded so you can take on with you to match the thread and make sure the threading kit has the correct diameter and pitch in it.

If the thread is obscure or really screwed up, and there is a little more space around the stud I just use a standard die.

good luck.  I hate it when that kind of s@#% happens.

brian
This discussion has been closed.