Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco iSeries Mixing Valves

Options
Has anyone had any problems with these valves self-destructing?  This one was mounted with the operator underneath the valve and either the valve leaked water into the operator or something blew inside the operator itself - it's full of stickiness.

I was using a SR501 control to power the iSeries and the SR501 was fried as well, probably when the iSeries shorted.
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 707
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I valve

Thanks for the opportunity to address this issue.  After looking at the pictures along with the product engineer it appears the orientation of the valve could have contributed to this issue; certainly not conclusive though.  Getting the valve back for further analysis will help us better understand what the root cause of failure was.  The valve should be installed in the 9, 12, or 3 o’clock position, but never 6.  I looked at the instruction sheet, and it really doesn’t clearly address valve orientation.  It ambiguously states any orientation which engineering will change. 

It’s entirely possible that condensation or a stem O-ring leak could have compromised the control board.  For obvious reasons the actuator is not water tight. It would help us to learn more about the actuator function when exposed to these extreme conditions if we can get the valve back. Contact me direct at 401-942-8000 and I’ll help you with the replacement of the valve actuator that failed.

Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
This discussion has been closed.