Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

To setback or not to setback...

Options
That is the question....Should I setback my thermostat when using an outdoor reset control on my oil fired boiler?

My system consists of an oil fired boiler piped in paralell to the 2 feed and 2 return lines of an unused coal fired boiler that was originally a gravity feed system. There is lots of 2 1/2" feed and return piping and 13 cast iron radiators. That's a lot of water to reheat when returning from setback.

Does the benefit of thermostat setback outweigh the cost of the return from the setback?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    i wouldn't

I mean, you can try it both ways, do your own little experiment.

If you need it nice and toasty when you wake up, you would have to start recovery pretty early in the morning.  If it's ok a few degrees cooler in the morning, you wake up and are out the door all day, then you could leave it lower, and go for your recovery mid to late afternoon, with the help of any solar gain on the home. It depends on your lifestyle & comfort.
    steve
  • Greg Maxwell
    Greg Maxwell Member Posts: 212
    Options
    Steback

I wouldnt recommend it on a system with that kind of volume. You will be dissapointed at the recovery off the setback. I think that even the H/W adaptive intelligent recovery tstats would not be able to anticipate that.
  • imaddicted2u
    imaddicted2u Member Posts: 25
    Options
    thanks

Thanks for the replies.
This discussion has been closed.