Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

tappping a new hole

Options
in a cast iron steam radiator for a new vent hole.  What size drill bit do I use for a 1/8 tap?  I am installing a Burnham  radiant.  I need to install the vent on the right side of the radiator, and I can not remove the slotted plug.  Would it be wiser to drill out the plug. using an (easy-out)?  Any suggestions would be great. 

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Tapping Hole:

Before I tried drilling a new hole, I would try to get theslottedd plug out. I would drill a hole in the middle of the plug and carefully enlarge it. I use a Dremel Tool. They sell a carbide grinder bit that is around 1/8". Grind it carefully and try your screw extractor. Then run a 1/8" pipe tap through it.
  • Owen
    Owen Member Posts: 147
    Options
    Good Answer

He's right. Cast is a bummer to drill into. Slow, many bits, need to oil the bit, etc. Stress on the carefully part.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,675
    Options
    stripped

I'm about to do some work on one of my rads as well.  The 1/8" hole is stripped so I'm planning on drilling it out some and tapping it for 1/4" and then installing a 1/4" to 1/8" nickel plated bushing.

I hope I can pull it off.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    Drilling Cast Iron

When you drill cast iron, be patient.  Make sure you have a very sharp big, don't drill so fast that you burn up the bit.  It will take a while and it tends to wear out bits, but it's not that big of a deal.

I have seen many radiators that had to be drilled out, then bushed with a 1/4 x 1/8 bushing because the original thread were worn out and enlarged.  This is one reason that I never recommend turning a vent upside down as a means of turning a radiator on and off.  Ultimately, damage is likely to occur, especially if the vent turning is being done by the hands of a person who is not mechanically inclined.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    threads

Dave,

I noticed on most of my rads I only get around 2 MAYBE 3 turns on my vents before its tight.  Usually 1.5 turns it starts to feel snug then I go a half a turn to get it pointing upward. The threads appear to be in a decent shape.

This seems odd to me as usually you get a good 4 turns or so on an 1/8" pipe no?

I'm thinking about running an 1/8" tap through most of the threads to clean them up.  Maybe a bad idea?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    good idea

If you aren't getting many turns, the threads are likely rusted or otherwise clogged up.  I agree with your idea.  I would clean them out with your 1/8 tap, clean off the threads on the vent, then reinstall the vent with a proper amount of teflon tape.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    tap type

Dave,

Would you recommend a "high speed steel" tap or a "carbon steel" tap for tapping radiators?  I'm asking only because I have to assume the HSS tap would hold up better tapping cast iron.
This discussion has been closed.