Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Air Purification System- Filtering

Options
I'm having a new Carrier Infinity AC/Heat Pump installed next weeks, and I'm back and forth on air filtration. I'm interested in investing in one a great air purification. The contractor, who I think is great has recommended a REME HVAC Cell. I have also read up on the Carrier Air Filtration System and seem to like that a lot also... Since I'm getting a new system, I'm willing to pay for a purification system... Any ideas or advice on the REME HVAC Cell, or Carrier Infinity? Please help me work through this issue....

Comments

• BillW
    BillW Member Posts: 198
    Options
    Filtration

Before I can give you any advice, I need some information.  What are your concerns?  Any allergies to pollen or pet dander?  Do you practice hobbies or crafts that generate potential irritants like fumes, dust or vapors?  Examples would be jewelery making, woodworking or building & painting aircraft, car or train models? 

Mechanical filters remove particles from the air, starting with the "home center" basic filter that stops hairs and dust bunnies, and basically protects the equipment, and has no air quality function. Pleated media filters, which are available from home centers and HVAC pros remove particles, based on the MERV system,the higher the number, the more efficient they are.  The top mechanical filters are HEPA filters, and they remove up to 98% of the particles that get to them.  Using HEPAS requires very careful system design, and a good maintenance program, changing the filters is very important.  HEPAS add significant resistance to air flow as they load.

Electrostatic precipitators (electronic air cleaners) charge passing particles, and they adhere to their opposite charged plates until they are washed off.  This technology is very effective on smaller particles like smoke.  They are widely used, and are professionally installed.  They require maintenance, usually twice a year, and that is washing the cells in a dishwasher, and the prefilters with a hose.

Neither of the previously mentioned filters have any effect on gasses, vapors or odors.  Those are best eliminated by removing the source, or diluting and exhausting them, using a heat or energy recovery ventilator system.  Moisture control is also important...too much or too little humidity can cause problems.

Ultraviolet lights can be added to the duct work, and they can be very effective at limiting bio-fouling of the condensate pans and the coils, others can be placed down stream to kill passing pathogens in the airstream, although their effectiveness at that is limited.

I am not familiar with the REME unit, so I can't say anything about it.  The Carrier and other competitive units all use similar technologies, combinations of the strategies I detailed above.
This discussion has been closed.