Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

water feed on which side of the Hartford Loop

I checked the Wall for this question and found conflicting answers, so I figured I'd ask directly: Which side of the Hartford Loop should the water feed be on?

The contradictory answers all gave good reasons. Put it on the boiler side so that the water gets de-oxygenated as soon as possible and will cause less rust. Put it on the wet return side in order to avoid the temperature shock danger of introducing cold feed water to a hot boiler.

Now let me give some particulars of my situation to see if they might over-ride the general principle. My boiler piping diagram calls for wet-return side. Also, I'm not too thrilled about the two places I have on the boiler side: below the boiler tapping above the mud leg or above the boiler tap just below the equalizer. And finally, would using a water feed from the water heater change any of this? I imagine it de-oxygenates some, but enough? Is it hot enough to prevent thermal shock?
billy42945

Comments

• thermal shock or oxygen corrosion?

http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/137464/Hot-water-zone-off-of-steam-boiler

my preference is always for the feed into the wet return, as far upstream as possible.

i would know about thermal shock, but would a house-sitter, or an auto/over-feed?--nbc

oooh professor Dan, the math problems are getting harder!
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Answer.

1. Use hot water to feed the boiler. 

2. End all worries.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    I always feed on the boiler side

Reason is it keeps oxygen rich water in boiler to be boiled and not sitting in the return to corrode the piping.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,202
    No Hot Water

You never feed a boiler with hot water.  It will scale up your water feeder if you use one. 

Here in NYC, the feed, by Code has to be a certain distance from the boiler, which usually means we feed the make up water into the wet return on the return side of the loop. 

But I like Charlie's logic and think that's a better way.  It also allows you to feed water if you steam the boiler to clean it while wasting the condensate out of the returns. 
    billy42945
  • Polycarp
    Polycarp Member Posts: 135
    It's a rental...

... and it has an auto-feed, so I can definitely see erring on the side of caution when it come to thermal shock.  Also, the piping is almost a century old and the wet returns just now need to be replaced, so worry about the impact of oxygenated water seems to be less than the worry about thermal shock.
  • Polycarp
    Polycarp Member Posts: 135
    I def. see your point...

... but I still struggle with *where* I could put the water feed on my system.  My only available locations are *really* close to the boiler and that makes me really nervous.  Barring a complete repipe that will give me some distance, are the two locations noted in the picture even viable?
This discussion has been closed.