Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Aquastat controls

All,

Thanks for all of the past posting - the reading has really been informative. I haven't seen anything specific to my issue, so I though I'd put it up for all to weigh in.

I am installing a wood fired gasifying boiler (Biomass 40) with a 500 gallon storage tank.  The boiler has its own circulator, controlled by the boiler "brain."  This will essentially circulate heated water to the storage tank while the fire burns wide open.  The only change would be if the return water temperature gets above 190 degrees, then the draft fan shuts down and the fire smolders.

My house piping has its own circulator which will be controlled by the room thermostats / zone valves.  I think I should be able to hook this up as it is a simple change over from the gas boiler.

I'd like to use the gas boiler for freeze protection (should an emergency ever arise) only.  I am thinking that I would use an aquastat at the water tank to sense a low water temperature (say 100 degrees), which would turn on the gas boiler until the tank reachers a set point (say 130 degrees).  In my mind, I could run 120 to the aquastat, then to the gas boiler.  I have a Honeywell 6006C on hand I'd like to use.

Would this idea work, or what am I missing?  Admitidly, I'm very weak with controls, and for the life of me, I can't seem to ever fully understand the theory behind wiring.

Thanks in advance for your time.  I know it is valuable, and sincerely appreciate the help.

Bill

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Idea.

Sounds like you need a low limit aquastat for the existing boiler. It would probably be best to put a triple aquastat on though, so you can use it as the primary boiler if the wood boiler ever goes out of service.
  • NCPABill
    NCPABill Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the post

Thanks for the response.  I think that the Honeywell L6006C is a high limit low limit aquastat.  Do you think this would work?

Thanks again,

Bill
This discussion has been closed.