Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

In Slab Leak Detection for PEX

Options
AL_29
AL_29 Member Posts: 44
Here is a brief history of what I am dealing with. In 2005 I installed an Ultra 310 at my brother in laws car wash. In 2008 the heat exhanger failed and leaked out all the glycol and everything froze. I was able to get new heat exchanger and repair all the problems. Now 2 years later I go for start up and was pumping all the glycol and an additive recommended by Weil-Mclain. The system took 30 gallons of fluid and will not hold pressure. I narrowed it down to the one wash bay with equipment heated by the boiler also. I am to the point I am sure the pipe is broken in the slab and want to know the best way to go about finding and repairing the leak.

Thanks

AL

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    a few choices

Inject air and water and use a listenung device to find the sound of the escaping air/ water mix.  The air causes the fluid to bubble up and produces more noise, compared to a stream of water.

Inject an inert gas and use a leak sniffer tool.

Fire the boiler with a supply of water and use an infrared camer (very quick)

Or contact Leakbusters www.americanleakdetection.com  they have a truck full of equipment to pinpoint leaks in underground piping like radiant tube, swimming pool, military ships, you name it.  It may be the easiest and least time consuming to hire a pro if you suspect multiple leaks.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.