Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot water zone off of steam boiler?????

Options
Looking for some tips on best way to adding a hot water zone below steam boiler's water line... without breaking the bank!!!!! Thank you guys.....

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    HW Zoner Off Steam Boiler

Hi- The attached file might be of help to you. If you locate the hot water zone above the level of the boiler it is better to use a heat exchanger.

- Rod
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Hot Water Condensate Zone

Here's another link on the subject with much more info

http://www.heatinghelp.com/article/330/Condensate-Hot-Water-Heating/76/Condensate-Hot-Water-Heating-FAQ
  • Paulien
    Paulien Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Forced h.w. zone off new steam boiler

Thanks Rod...the zone that is w/out the exchanger..have you any luck w/ this version..? & is this assuming that both zones are 1 as is the case w/ mine. If there both connected do I need a control for the hot water loop side?
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Control

Typically, you would control the HW loop with its own aquastat and thermostat, acting as its own zone. You could keep all of the heat as one zone, but would still need to control the HW circulator either by temperature, or with a cold water bypass to maintain the design temperature on that loop. You want to avoid pumping 215 degree water into the HW zone.
  • Renaveg
    Renaveg Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Thermal Shock

I was just reading about plumbing a hot water zone this way the other day and I wondered if the thermal shock from the cold water in the baseboards coming back to the boiler would shorten the boilers life or if because it's mixing with so much of the boiler water that it's not an issue? I'm thinking for instance first thing in the morning when the water in the baseboards might be 55-60 degrees? Would it be a better option to use the boilers tankless coil if it's available?

Dave
  • Bill Julian
    Bill Julian Member Posts: 162
    Options
    Air vent purge

I installed my system as Dan shows here. Seems trapped air is in the top of the zone struggling to make its way back to the purge valve. Why can't I install a Manual air purge in the top of the zone while city pressure is being supplied (purging) thus releasing some of this, if not all of the air in the zone then closing the purge at the top of the zone and going back to Dan's instructions as noted?

Also seems circ sounds like it is staying on when zone calls but the sound it makes sounds like it slows down then speeds up almost like it it struggling to move water yet the zone it hot. But I can see air moving in the heat pex from the return a little.