Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler R & R

Options
Current boiler is a A - S ArcoLiner which the burner has been acting up and the domestic coil can't keep up with demand.  My oil man, for the past hundred years, wants to R & R the boiler with a brand I never heard of and pipe the one-pipe steam in copper.  Current boiler stated "360 sq. ft. steam" and the domestic coil can't handle demand.  With the help of this site, I maintain the steamer, water is clear and only have to add makeup maybe once during the season.  What are my options?  Retrofit the burner?  What are domestic hot water options?  If I replace with same setup, is domestic hot water still issue?  Switch to gas?  There aren't many oil companies left in Central NJ and if they don't get the job, I'm sure they won't be happy, but I want it done once, done right.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Get another opinion

The fact that your oil man wants to pipe up a new steam boiler with copper indicates he does not know what he is doing in the world of steam heating.  If your boiler needs to be replaced, I would certainly not have this guy do it!

Other points:  It is possible that the reason the water coil won't keep up is because it is scaled up.  Has it been cleaned?  These things tend to get scalled up and when that happens it greatly reduced the capacity.

How old is the boiler?  Chances are it is time to replace, but a burner that is causing trouble should not be the deciding factor.

Do you have gas available?  If so, it changing fuel may save you money, but it all depends where you live.  From what I hear, gas on the east coast is much more expensive than it is in the midwest.  You would need to analize the relative cost of fuel.

The guy that sells you oil, or the guy that wants to sell you natural gas, are not the best source of information in helping you to figure out what to do.  They both have vested interests.  Often, they lack the skills and knowledge necessary to complete a good steam intallation.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    coil

I personally do not like the option of cleaning a coil. If your going to spend money on it, then replace the coil. If  you wish to make the investment, have someone come in and size your radiators so you know the actual boiler needed. The piping above the water line should be black iron and should be wrapped. Do it right or do it over...If you stay with oil, I would look at the Megasteam. I've installed a few of these and love what Burnham has done with it. most oil companies worry about selling oil, not about installs. Your best best is to find someone who know's steam and wants to do it right...
This discussion has been closed.