Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How would you

best, cycle/stage/control a chiller system. 42-44* load temp, with ten 15t compressors ( five 30t 2 stage units) ,and the load varies a lot .Thanks!

Comments

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Staging

There could be a number of options depending on how it was designed.  Are they using half of the 15 ton and 2 or 3 30 ton to control load?  Maybe they are Controlling using Lead /Lag scenario.   There is some major power consumption happening and I'm sure they try to keep it to a minimum.

Just some thoughts

Mike T.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited September 2011
    Chiller stageing

Mike T. How r u ? I'm good too!!!

Right now they have 5 Ranco electronic temp controls w/ the probe style sensor all set within the 42-43-44* range. There's GOTTA be a better way! So I'm getting some info going so I can sound professional when I present my little story to the customer. Both load and source water piping is parallel piped , 1st unit in ,1st unit out. In 8-9 years there's been 8-9 fatalities of compressors. I'm the new kid on the block!!!! And I smell something very interesting here, very interesting indeed! But, I need a little bit better idea of a better way to do this, than my better way at the moment ! So ,being curious , what is a better way?
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Control

Doing well Terry, trying to stay busy.  I guess this is one of those scenarios in that you have to be there to actually see what they have, load requirements, product or space to be maintained at a given temp.  Sorry, I have no quick answer, but you are on the right track.  I to provide a customer with research to back up my plan of action in the presentation. 

Keep me posted as to your progress and final set up of your plan.  Good luck and remember you and I know the right place to go with questions or opinions,....."The Wall" of course

Mike T.
  • Matt_67
    Matt_67 Member Posts: 284
    edited September 2011
    chiller control

This discussion has been closed.