Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

best way to take apart V83 block

Options
ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,716
I'm at the point where I want to take the old burnham V83 block apart so I can carry it out in 3 pieces.  I tried removing the two horizontal threaded rods and cannot get it to budge.

Whats the easiest process for this?  Should I throw a towl over the top section where the large press nipples are and try cracking it with a hammer?
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    cut the rod

Vacuum the unit out good. Cut the rod and take a wedge and hammer inbetween the sections...I'd lay down a bunch of plastic to catch what comes out...
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Cut the rod

I'm sorry, the two threaded rods are out.  They came out fairly easy.

I cannot get anything else to budge in between the sections.

I assume you are talking about driving a wedge down in between the sections where the pins are? 
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Options
    Yep

Get a nice size chisel and lump hammer and blast away ! I like to start on the cleanout side , at the top . Once it starts to separate , work it down the side to the smaller push nipple . Then move the chisel to the other side where the bigger push nipple is and force the chisel in just below it . Comes apart fairly easy for a cast iron boiler . Good luck !
  • lchmb
    Options
    best part

Take a before and after pic of your face and arms...;) Alway's amazing how dirty a job it is..LOL
  • Maine Vent
    Maine Vent Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Start at the bottom

I started at the bottom between each section, the end with the burner. I started on the right side on the bottom this is where the push nipples are. once you get them to open up a little then I went up a little ways and used the chisel to open it up some more. It's a good workout then you have to lug them out of your basement.

https://picasaweb.google.com/118194256752464638116/BurnhamV7Removal2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCMSF0oit7qnlQQ#5650500070961414914
    Weil McLean SGO4, Riello Gas Burner
    404 sq ft EDR
    Old Burnham V8 Removal
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    great pictures!!

wish there more pictures like those here!!thanks--nbc
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Options
    You made it look easy

Good to see you finally getting your hands dirty.  Great job Chris!  By the way here is the easy way to take a boiler down.
  • ChrisJ
    edited September 2011
    Options
    TNT

Somehow I don't think I will need dynamite :)

I'm curious, would it help to heat the area of the push nipples with my MAPP torch before trying to pry it apart?

Mine looks like a baby compared to that 6 section monster maine vent posted!  Its amazing how much the V7 and V8 blocks look alike 
  • lchmb
    Options
    no heat

I have never used heat on a section....Big hammer and big wedge...Set it between the sections as previously described and hit it...I MEAN HIT IT! IT's going to break, that's the idea...so a 5lb hammer should be about right...;)
This discussion has been closed.