Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cooling tower piping

Is there a generic piping diagram out there for an open system cooling tower?  I have to replace the pump and make sure the system is piped correctly.  I also need to install a bypass, and was wondering if a differential bypass valve is what is needed.


  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Cooling tower

    piping is pretty  much straight forward for a common piping for a common water tower. Check w/ the tower mfgr,they should give you the piping /pump info
  • Eugene_Silberstein
    What type of bypass?

    What type of bypass are you referring to?

    Are you attempting to isolate the cooling tower in the winter, drain the water below the building line and use the water circuits for heat pump operation?

    There was an error rendering this rich post.

  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765

    You have self-contained units w/waterside economizers?
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343

    I believe the bypass you seek is for winter operation and is not actually a bypass at all.  Some if not most "change over procedures" require the draining of the tower, the piping above roof line and water feed to tower due to possible freezing conditions.  The tower loop in question usually has accessible areas in mechanical room to Isolate the tower loop for winter operation and easily put back into summer operation.  One word,....Make sure that if tower pumps are exposed to the elements, drain that puppy or the cast will crack like a cracker.........:-)

    Mike T.
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696

    Take a look at B&G's Bulletin # TEH-1209, I am going to try & attach it, I also have a B&G Bulletin # TEH -275 Sizing Cooling Towers Pumps & Piping, if you want i can scan it and attach it, or you can Google for it
This discussion has been closed.