Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Maximum horizontal length of 1.5" radiator takeoff?

Options
Hello all,

Back for some help.  I am currently remodeling a first floor kitchen and need to relocate a large one pipe rad. It currently has a pitched horizontal run of 4 feet.  What would the max horizontal run be for a 1.5" pipe? I am looking at 11 feet total by just extending the pipe.  The rad is a 26 section seven tube 30" tall beast. I am currently venting with a # D gorton. BTW it is the last rad on the main!

FYI the boiler is a 250,000 btu wood fired gasification unit that I plumbed myself three years ago with no problems, noises, bangs etc.  Of course Dan was right their helping me through his book, which I oddly cant find at this moment, due to a lending oversight!

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Scot B
    Scot B Member Posts: 26
    Options
    almost forgot

The main is 2" at the 1.5" takeoff.

• Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,786
    Options
    Takeoff too small already

Your radiator is about 143 sq ft.  The horizontal take off is already too small for that rad.  You probably should change it out to a 2" since you are considerably increasing the length, which will compound any negative effects that the undersized pipe might cause.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • Scot B
    Options
    Merry Christmas

It's been a couple of months and yesterday I finally finished the radiator relocation. Dave I kinda took your advice. Not only did I relocate the rad I also cut and tapped into the 2" return close to the rad position.  I added two 2x2x2 tees and a union. 34" of 2" rad takeoff and voila I have heat!  Of course the rad got sand blasted and painted a nice deep brass color, goes well in new kitchen.  Heats fully on a normal cycle and with no noises.  Pitched a 1/4 of a bubble. 

Thank you for your assistance dave. This wall is the greatst thing since..... beer!

Once again Merry Christmas and have a safe and Happy Steam Heating New Year. 

• Dave in QCA
    Options
    Fantastic!

Thanks for posting the outcome of your project!  I'm happy that it worked out and that the radiator is doing exactly what its supposed to, and what you want it to!  The paint job looks great too.  I'm guessing that you may have used Rustoleum Antique Brass.....   I rotate between that color and Rustoleum Dark Bronze, but for some reason the dark bronze color tends to off gas for several weeks, if not months.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, or as we used to say for 50 years, until somehow it recently got turned into a controversy, "Happy Holidays!"
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,211
    Options
    Steam

Marry Christmas, Dave. 
  • Dave in QCA
    Options
    steam

Merry Christmas Ed
  • Scot B
    Options
    mystic blond mica

Actually dave its an automotive finish called mystic blond mica! It off gassed for two heating cycles! There is a primer/sealent first coat under the brass color.

• Dave in QCA
    Options
    looks great

It looks great!  Glad to know the process you used.
  • Scot B
    Options
    Had to add an interesting tidbit to this one!

My wife commented on how warm the radiator is that I moved in her kitchen, so I mentioned that it was a six thin tube radiator with 26 sections at 5 edr per section.... blah blah blah looking really important and knowledgeable!!!! ..... with a total EDR of 130 at over 30,000 BTU/Hr blah blah blah .....ands that why its so warm!

She replied.....   this is a good one!   She replied well thats only equal to five cows!

HUH?  What you talking about?

She went on to explain that a milking cow typically produces 4500 to 6000 BTU/Hr of heat and that a barn full of milkers will basically make you sweat!

I didn't have a response to that as she clearly out classed me on that one!

Then she said BTW! One cow is equal to a 1500watt hair dryer!  Haaaaaahh I'm going back to my man cave!

This discussion has been closed.