Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

water heaters in series

ChrisJChrisJ Member Posts: 11,272
I am considering installing a small 20 gallon electric water heater in series with a 40 gallon gas water heater and am curious if it is considered safe and if it would be to code.  I cannot see any reason that it would be unsafe but may I'm missing something.

Reason is to have instant hot water in a location far from the gas water heater, yet I would rather not run the electric one more than necessary.  I'm going to have this 20 gallon electric water heater on hand for nothing so I'm trying to find a creative use for it.  I am currently using it as a temporary source of hot water while doing other work.
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• Mark EathertonMark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,843
    Should be no problem...

So long as the installation meets code (floor drain in the vicinity, T&P relief valve etc) it should be fine.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!