Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler efficency

Options
I am trying to find infromation on a dunkirk s-6 series boiler it was installed in 1984 with a becket afg burner has internat hot water coil hooked up to a passive solar water heater installiation defies discription counter flow steam works exceptionally well degrees day about 8500 house is a 1903 victorian 2200sq ft oil consumption about 800 gallons a year boiler is way oversized never runs on pressure and radiators never get completely hot'

I live in an area where almost every public building and many homes are heated by steam though many late 19th century and early 20th century have lately been converted to hot water

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Boiler

Hi- Do you have any more information, model, serial number etc.on the  "Dunkirk S-6" model? One of the pros maybe have some info on it. Photos are also a big help in identifying components.

Your statement "boiler is way oversized never runs on pressure and radiators never get completely hot "   Why do you think is way over sized?  Generally over sized boilers build pressure quickly and short cycle.  Perhaps if you could outline what specific problems you are experiencing with your boiler we can address them more easily individually.

On most residential steam systems, the radiators , especially in the spring and fall, may not get completely hot as the heat given off by the partially filled radiators is enough to satisfy the thermostat setting which then shuts the burner off before the radiator is completely filled with steam.

Steam systems are pretty robust (that's why have been operating for so many years) and just need a little "tune up" to regain their comfort and efficiency. If you don't already have them I would highly recommend looking in the "Shop" section at the top of this page as there are some very good books on residential steam heating available there. "We Got Steam Heat" is probably the best one to start out with.

http://www.heatinghelp.com/products/Steam-Heating-Books/25/61/We-Got-Steam-Heat-A-Homeowners-Guide-to-Peaceful-Coexistence

- Rod
  • gearjammer2005
    gearjammer2005 Member Posts: 27
    Options
    boiler eff

the system is a dunkirk series s-6 29840090 rated at 596 sq ft connected load 440 sqft rated firing 1.5 gallons fired at 1.25 runs very well maintains temp + or- 1 degree of setting never runs on pressure even at 20 to 30 below zero original boiler is still in place with a conifer sawdust burner original pipeing and1903 arco racoco radiators I have all of dan's books as well as many old books on steam and hot water
  • gearjammer2005
    Options
    boiler eff

the system is a dunkirk series s-6 29840090 rated at 596 sq ft connected load 440 sqft rated firing 1.5 gallons fired at 1.25 runs very well maintains temp + or- 1 degree of setting never runs on pressure even at 20 to 30 below zero original boiler is still in place with a conifer sawdust burner original pipeing and1903 arco racoco radiators I have all of dan's books as well as many old books on steam and hot water
  • gearjammer2005
    Options
    boiler eff

sorry about double post
This discussion has been closed.