Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham Alpine Air Proving Problem

Ski
Ski Member Posts: 1
I converted my farmhouse over to gas 1 1/2 ago.  While doing so, I bought a Burnham Alpine 150,000 BTUH Modulating boiler.  I have had issues with the unit running on sealed combustion.  The first time it happened was during the winter when I got a no heat call (0 degrees out).  My installing contractor came over and we were getting a (5- no air alarm) with the cover on.  When we took the cover off, it started working and heat up the house.  I assumed that some ice might have built up in the side wall PVC intake.  After a few days, I put the cover on and it was fine.  Today we didn't have any hot water ( secondary loop feeds a superstor 50 gallon tank).  When I looked at it, the controller told me that there was a "power failure after lockout".  I hit the reset and the unit ran, but was not really heating the water properly.  Again, I took the front cover off and everything seemed to work right.

Do you think that there is an issue with the controller or could there actually be a problem with the air intake piping? This boiler was expensive and I have already had issues with it heating as well as making hot water in less than 2 years.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ski

Comments

• NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    clear

I am unfamiliar with the Burnham Alpine, yet first verify that the air passage is clear. Either have it inspected with a sewer camera, or another means of inspection.
    :NYplumber:
  • NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    clear

I am unfamiliar with the Burnham Alpine, yet first verify that the air passage is clear. Either have it inspected with a sewer camera, or another means of inspection.
    :NYplumber:
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    curious

Could you explain a bit more "but was not really heating the water properly.  Again, I took the front cover off and everything seemed to work right."? How was it not doing it properly? Was it running but not circulating? Not heating or not firing until you took the cover off? I would give your installer a call and see if he can come in and check the unit. It should be serviced yearly anyway so now's the time to get it looked at...
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    edited August 2011

• Jason_13
    Jason_13 Member Posts: 304
    Power failure?

What would have caused a power failure. The would be an 04 on display which means the 120v power to the boiler was lost or went into a brown-out condition.
  • Jason_13
    Power failure?

What would have caused a power failure. The would be an 04 on display which means the 120v power to the boiler was lost or went into a brown-out condition.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Have Your Contractor

Contact Burnham. They had an issue with the Sage control and fresh air around that time frame. There is a field fix for the issue. Would call with my model and serial number to see if the boiler was made during the issue time period.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Jason_13
    edited August 2011
    Sage?

I would assume this is the MCBA as the Sage2 has a touch text screen.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    I Stand

Corrected. Jason is right. That series issue was with the honeywell board.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • AFred
    AFred Member Posts: 81
    Alpine

I'm pretty sure they require a 4" intake on the 150s, even though they exhaust in 3", trust me it makes a deference

If the intake was run in 3" that would explain why taking the door off changes things. The first 150 I put in was in a ridiculous cold spell, I didn't know it needed a 4" intake till I opened the manual as I was piping it. I had no 4" pipe or fittings with me, or the time to spare so I ran it in 3". It was noisy, and it would lockout every couple weeks, until we got back there and ran it in 4". Haven't had to go back since.

-Andy
This discussion has been closed.