Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

leaky convectors

Options
tbird
tbird Member Posts: 1
Hi!, we've got a 2000 sqft  brick 2 story built in 1925. It's got 5 cast iron radiators upstairs and 6 older convector style rads ,some base board and 1 cast iron rad downstairs. No name/numbers on the convectors, but I would guess the age to be 1930's/1940's given the style of the decorative metal cabinets. They appear to be allum block heads on either end with  flat copper fin tube running in between. We replaced the 40+ yr old boiler w/ a weil mclain ultra con/mod about 6 yrs ago. Since then we've developed small leaks in the convectors,usualy in the alum heads. They start as tiny weepers and then turn into drips. I've tried epoxys (J B Weld) and taken them to radiator repair shops but the leaks return. I'm debating on wether to to replace w/new convectors or just go to cast iron. Does this sound like a ph prob, pressure prob, or have these just lived their life expectancy? Thanks for this blog.. what a great resource!!

Comments

• moneypitfeeder
    moneypitfeeder Member Posts: 249
    Options
    pics are worth a thousand words...

Do you have any photos of the area of any of the leaky heads? Specifically close up on one of the leak points. Aluminum, while its great stuff is prone (as are many metals) to corrosion. To determine what is causing it (from an aircraft mechs. viewpoint), is to look at the color and characteristics of the corrosion buildup. It can tell you roughly what type of metal is causing it. Then its just the detective work to track down the culprit. Have you been able to find out if you can get replacement heads? If you can't IMO I'd just find replacement cast iron convectors. They are beasts, but they heat well, that's what I have in most of my house. Good luck in any case, Dee.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.