Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burst radiator pipes in 1886 Victorian

Options
ivanator2
ivanator2 Member Posts: 39
I want to replace burst elbows in our old radiator pipes supplying our third floor radiators. We bought the house with freeze damage. The radiators on the first and second floor are shot, but the ones are the third floor survived. I have experience running copper for water supply, and running black pipe for gas lines. What are the pipes and elbows likely made of? Black pipe, or galvanized? Could I replace the elbows with galvanized elbows, and pipes with galvanized pipe? 

Comments

• Greg Maxwell
    Greg Maxwell Member Posts: 212
    Options
    Burst pipes

Most likely, thery are Black iron pipe with cast iron fittings. You can replace with malleable if you cand find cast anywhere, but cast is the preference. You could I suppose use galv ftgs & elbows, it wouldnt hurt a thing.
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Options
    something to think about.

Should you ever decide to glycol the system, (winterize).  The galvanized piping and glycol don't play well together.  Galvanized piping is not recommended for heating systems.  Stick to malleable black iron.
  • ivanator2
    ivanator2 Member Posts: 39
    Options
    Combine Unico heating and radiators

The cost for replacing all the burst radiators and pipes was unworkable, so we agreed to have a Unico high velocity heating system installed on the first and second floor only. The boiler will supply hot water to the Unico heating module through Pex lines. If I repair the radiator pipe fittings for the third floor, is there any reason why I can't have the boiler providing hot water through the pex lines to the Unico system, and also hot water to the third floor radiators through traditional black pipe? 
  • moneypitfeeder
    moneypitfeeder Member Posts: 249
    Options
    Is it too late?

We aren't supposed to talk pricing, but, I've been able to find radiators for my house for free on craigslist. I know your having a contractor do the work, but if you're willing to look, and they are willing to install the rads you find, you might be able to bring that unmanageable cost down to something you could live with. (I just hate to see old homes lose their radiators. It always feels like something is missing). Good Luck, Dee
    steam newbie
This discussion has been closed.