Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

electric soldering gun

Options
bovide_4
bovide_4 Member Posts: 161
Has anyone ever used an electric soldering gun like the Ridgid RT-175?

I am considering purchasing one for use in a building with strict hot work rules.

Comments

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    I have one,

and i think it should be 'must have' equipment for any plumber..its great when in a tough area where a torch would surely set something on fire..use it all the time..get one..you won't regret it.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    How long

does it take to heat up a 3/4" joint to melt solder.  With gas, it's about 10 seconds.  I'd be happy to wait longer if it prevents a fire.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Options
    Gun

Rems makes one as well as Ridgid, looks like a nice tool, i think there are some videos on You Tube to give you an idea on how long it takes
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,477
    Options
    resistance soldering

Years ago when i was working for a power supply company I designed resistance solderers  like this to solder transformer cases. They work by passing hundreds of amps (at very low voltage) through the joint causing it top heat very quickly.

Not as fast as a torch but a lot safer -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55zF1rjC2Kk

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Electric Soldering:

Way back when (when I was an employee), the boss bought one of those. He thought it would be the answer to slicing bread. I tried it out. In many of the places I needed to solder, it wouldn't fit. I found I had to be really careful about being sure that the fitting was hot enough. Or I had a leak. I had to be really careful about burning the flux in the fitting. Some of the other guys were really excited about it. When the new wore off, it found a place in the shop.

They weight of the thing was a PITA when in a tight crawlspace. And you had to drag a decent cord with you or the cord heated up and/or blew a breaker.

I've bought a lot of tools for myself since then. That wasn't one of them.

I find that a spray bottle of water and my Prestolite torch get me out of any place I get into. Some of these guys with flame throwers that wreck your ears would probably like them for the peace and quiet. My Prestolite keeps me happy.

Whatever floats ones boat. 
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Electric Soldering:

Way back when (when I was an employee), the boss bought one of those. He thought it would be the answer to slicing bread. I tried it out. In many of the places I needed to solder, it wouldn't fit. I found I had to be really careful about being sure that the fitting was hot enough. Or I had a leak. I had to be really careful about burning the flux in the fitting. Some of the other guys were really excited about it. When the new wore off, it found a place in the shop.

They weight of the thing was a PITA when in a tight crawlspace. And you had to drag a decent cord with you or the cord heated up and/or blew a breaker.

I've bought a lot of tools for myself since then. That wasn't one of them.

I find that a spray bottle of water and my Prestolite torch get me out of any place I get into. Some of these guys with flame throwers that wreck your ears would probably like them for the peace and quiet. My Prestolite keeps me happy.

Whatever floats ones boat. 
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    doesn't take long at all.

perhaps 20-30 seconds for a cold fitting.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

This discussion has been closed.