Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PEX and freezing

Options
bill_105
bill_105 Member Posts: 429
Is there any data on how great PEX is to resisting breaking during a freeze up?.Now,I mean as opposed to copper. The insurance people up here are all wound up about it.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    data... hmmm

from experience... Better but it would depend on how long it froze for. Oddly enough the place I see failures is right next to the adapter fittings w/ pexA. The old poly butylene was very freeze resistant. I saw occasions on plumbing where it froze for weeks and did not break. kpc
  • Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    Options
    freezing PEX

As Kevin stated, it depends a lot on time and temperature,but it will burst. It is not indestructible. I have done over 600 insurance claim investigations for plumbing and heating issues and have seen a lot of ruptured PEX...but surprisingly more from overheating and overpressure than from freezing. A faulty aquastat and overheat situation blows that stuff apart like an old balloon......seen this on several manufacturer's products, not just one or two.....I find that adjusters ask me more what caused it to burst, not "was it copper of PEX?". In either case, the cause is more the issue that the product itself.
This discussion has been closed.