Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Childproofing

bill_105
bill_105 Member Posts: 429
I'm sure the topic has risen before, but I've never heard. Has the hot water heat business addressed children touching hot pipes?

Well tonight we decided to give our daughter and son in law a break for the night. So tonight we have granddaughter Samantha, ripe age of 14 months.

We have 21 baseboard enclosures in our house One of which has a pipe running on top of the element. Of course that single one has to be touched by the kid. She did get a tiny blister. Even without that a child could touch a pipe going up or down from the element.

Now here is another plus for the radiant crowd. We have about 500 s.f. of  it under our ceramic tile. No one will ever get to that.

I'm sure the gab has risen before, but I've never heard talk of it.

So I'm expecting  to be sued by our own child and son in law (who is on the way as we speak). Also the maker of the pipe, the baseboard maker, the solder maker, the flooring installer, the painter, and anyone else who may ever looked at the thing is subject to legal action!

Is there a child proofing code out there??

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    edited August 2011
    My thoughts.

I have two kids under two years old right now. I fully support the power of experience. Let them get hurt once, and they'll never do it again. I don't think that child-proofing is the answer. Having the child learn is the answer. Funny enough, I feel the same with adults, except adults seem to learn at a slower rate than children.

14 months is a little tough. They don't really understand the concept of pain and cause/effect. So, the answer is... I DON'T KNOW.  DAMN KIDS!!!!
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    edited August 2011
    I think it's called...

Common Sense. I will place a bet that she NEVER touches that, or any pipe that looks like it AGAIN...

Every human being, in full control of their faculties and functions gets burnt at least once in their life. I remember my first taste of heat. Hot floor grate on a (now illegal) floor furnace. I stepped on it, burnt my feet, scared me to the point that I sat down and burned my butt too.

Now, every time I see one of those floor furnaces, I give it wide berth.

The code use to say that any pipe within human reach can not exceed 140 degrees F. I believe there is also a section in the ADA code that addresses the need for insulating hot water pipes beneath public lavatories.

I've asked code officials about this before, and the fact that a steam radiator is well above 140 degrees F, and they said that common sense usually kicks in as it pertains to people touching a hot radiator. Once kids learn about radiant energy, they come to respect its power. This is also why in a mental health institution, the radiators are not on the floor, but are much higher, in case a patient rolling on the floor gets in such a position that they are laying against a hot radiator.

As for radiant floors, done wrong (and I've seen MANY of them done wrong) they can be just as hazardous to your health. I had a customer in Steamboat Springs once who had 180 degree F water circing through her tube in gyp with tile floor. She said her dog wouldn't walk across the floor (smart animal), and they had to wear thick slippers to get from point A to point B, and she had been told by her contractor that this was "normal"...

Don't forget to name the gardner in the subrogation. He saw it one day when he went inside for a drink of water and should have brought it to someone's attention, and besides, gardner's never get sued enough :-)

This too (blister) shall come to pass...

All it takes is some love and sympathy.

Hug'em if you've got'em..

If you don't have'em, get one. It will change your perspectives on life.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Posting:

The last eigfht times I have tried to post to this forum has caused my browser to dump off where I must re-start my computer to reset my communication package.

As soon as I click on Spelling, it is over.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    I'll try posting this.

And I'll check the spelling before I send it.

Okay, it gave me a list of suggested words. I checked the proper one, clicked on Okay and now I'm posting.
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    Trying again

Doing the same thing and getting the same results. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    No problem here.

Sounds like it might be a local problem on your machineeeee, Ice. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • Ex Maine Doug
    Ex Maine Doug Member Posts: 162
    Child Proofing Procedures

Other half sent me out for child proofing after the second one.  Said it would help my grades.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    kids

I have a woodstove in my living room which get's extremely hot. I've never put any type of protection around it and the kids learned very quickly to give it a wide birth. Never honestly noticed them playing around with the baseboard...
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    curious....

why is the baseboard heat on........... in August?
  • Look to Europe

for your answer.  They are always (at least) 10 years ahead of us.

My guess is that they do nothing about it.  Do they have smarter kids than we do? 
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    Heat in August?

Today's newspaper shows why, but not on the internet one. There are skiers in a snowstorm at about 3000 feet Elev. That's 20 miles from us and 40 miles south of Anchorage. 'been a dreary summer
This discussion has been closed.