Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wilo capacity-adding zone 7

Glen_7
Glen_7 Member Posts: 82
I had a new boiler, h/w tank, argo controls and caleffi zone valves installed last year. There are six h/w zones not including the tank, which has its own Wilo circulator. I am adding a seventh zone to accomodate a hydro air installation in part of the second floor. The Wilo pump that controls the circulation for the heating zones is an ECO 16F.  Can anyone tell me if adding another zone will overload this pump? Is there a way to calculate this? I am sure it would be easy to just add a traditional circulator for this one zone if I am pushing the envelope. The house is about 4400 sq/ft so there is quite a bit of piping, if that matters. The emitters aside from the new hydro air zone are a combination of cast iron baseboard, cast iron radiators, runtal steel radiators, and some regular fin-tube baseboard. I have no performance, balancing or comfort issues at this time. Most emitters have TRV's.  On design days, it is not unusual for 4 or 5 zones to be calling for heat at the same time.

Thank you.

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
    edited August 2011
    You'd

have to calculate the head to be certain. The number of zones is unimportant,it's total head you need. Don't see very many DeDeterich around,where are you located?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Adding Zone 7 with ECM Delta PV pumps

Good question.

Assuming the system with 6 zones was working OK I doubt if adding a 7th zone would cause any issues (unless it's a huge zone).  The way Delta PV works is if there is more places the water can go (like a 7th zone) the pump will automatically increase it's differential pressure (and consequently increase it's flow).

If you were using a manual 3 speed pump most likely you would have to change speeds.
This discussion has been closed.