Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How much do I Sell Arco Cast Iron Radiators for?

SFNJ
SFNJ Member Posts: 2
Hi All,

I just replaced all my heating in the house and got these Arco Cast Iron radiators (At least that's what I think they are) which looks like a loaf of bread. I wanted to sell them but one of my friends said that I should try selling them to an Antique shop? Not sure If I'm going to carry all of them to get them priced out but would any of you ladies and gents know how much I should sell them for? They are all in working condition just that need a bit of cleaning up.

Thanks in advance!

Sharontha

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    :(

Another great steam system bites the dust.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    heating changeover

at least the gas company should be happy with the increased fuel use of forced air over hydronic/steam!!-nbc
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    look on craigslist....

prob. you best bet. We don't talk pricing here. Too bad you took them out.
  • Alan Welch
    Alan Welch Member Posts: 266
    100 to 200 dollars---

per ton is probably the scrap metal price for cast iron .Unless the radiators are unusual or unique there probably is very little demand .Every person that removes a steam system lessens the demand and increases the supply.
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Salvage Radiators

In the past when I have had cast iron radiators that I needed to get rid of...   First of all, let me explain.  I did NOT remove a working steam or hot water system.  I had salvaged a number of radiators from a building 150 miles away because they were going to toss them off as scrap iron.  They let me have them for the taking, and I knew that I would need some, just didn't know at the time what exactly I was going to need.  So, I rented a U-Haul and spent a day hauling them home to my garage.  Eventually, when my renovation was completed to the extent I knew what radiators that I needed, I then got rid of the extras.

These were very nice looking, ornate, US Radiator Florentine Pattern.  My personal policy for being an environmentally responsible person, who also is willing to give a helping hand to anyone restoring or maintaining a cast iron system, is this.

If the radiator is going to the scrap pile, UGH!    I want some money out of it!

If the radiator is going into a heating system, I will give them away.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Retired and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.