Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

R Value of loose fill asbestos...

Mark Eatherton
Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
Does ANYONE know the R value per inch for loose fill asbestos insulation?

Don't worry. I have no intentions of disturbing it. I just need to know in order to do a heat loss calculation.

I looked on Google, and all they did was warn me not to disturb it.

It is similar in consistency to mineral wool, and if I can't find a true R value, I will assume the R value of mineral wool loose fill insulation.

Mucho Gratzi.

ME
It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.

Comments

• It's between

R-4 and R-11.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Mark Eatherton
    Thanks Alan...

I will assume the median.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    R Value for asbestos

This is what I found during a quick search "I tried the search term "Thermal Conductivity of Asbestos" and got this page (http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-d_429.html) for the 1st hit. After a few unit conversions, I came up with an R-value for asbestos mill board of 12.4 per inch of thickness. Loose packed asbestos came in at 11.8 per inch."

Hope it helps

Rob
  • Mark Eatherton
    edited July 2011
    Thanks Rob...

I will take it into consideration.

Funny how a slight change in syntax makes a World of difference :-)

ME
This discussion has been closed.