Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

burnham mpo?

Options
jonny88
jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
has anyone had experience with the burnham mpo iq.i was thinking about doing an oil/gas conversion but this boiler looks pretty attractive. im familiar with their gas boilers but have no experience with oil,except for ripping them out,thanks,half of the house will be radiant if that makes a difference

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    Nice Boiler

The MPO is a really nice boiler. With the optional controls and the ability to link with the Honeywell Aquatrol you could put together a real nice control strategy that will provide some nice comfort and additional fuel savings.

The radiant though in my opinion fits the condensing boiler option much better. How will the rest of the home be heated?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Greg Maxwell
    Greg Maxwell Member Posts: 212
    Options
    Buffer Tank

Please consider incorporating a buffer tank into your installation. It adds water volume to your system, and allows the boiler to run longer, reaching steady state efficiency, condensing, but the boiler will cycle less often. Yeah, its more up front, but in the long term, I think it's worth it.
  • jonny88
    Options
    mpo

thanks for your input,first floor radiant(staple up) 2nd floor free standing rads 180 degree water,i was going thru dans book on radiant heating. mr.maxwell he shows a piping arrangment using a storage tank in primary loop( ergomax).he has a mixing valve for domestic supply,he also uses primary and secondary piping.im in total agreement,i will spend now on the right product,best of luck and again thanks for taking time out to help.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    I'm confused

Converting to gas from oil using an MPO with a power gas burner in a radiant/CI radiator house?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • jonny88
    Options
    sorry for confusion

mr.o brien,i was going to do a conversion from oil to gas but someone told me about this boiler.im now thinking about not changing and keeping oil in the house but upgrading the heating system.we are renovating the house but wont be able to do radiant heat upstairs ,only on the first floor as the basement is exposed.i believe from other posts that you are on long island?what is your thoughts on keeping oil?also if i needed a consultation would you be available,
  • CMadatMe
    Options
    Radiant and Rads

No brainer on the conversion to gas knowing this. Are you sure that you need 180 degree water for those rads at design conditions?

• jonny88
    Options
    burnham mpo?

at work we always set our boilers to make 180 degree for hydronic heating,then if we are running radiant we would use a seperate zone with a mixing valve,im actually going to dans class in ny coming up next month got a lot of learning to do.i work for one of those companies where the head mechanic doesnt like to be asked a ?.(maybe in fgear of not knowing the answer). a guy from my oil co.said using this boiler will cut my use by 40%.i am going to insulate the hell out of the house to.please tell me not to convert i am sick of looking at paperwork.thanks again for your help
  • CMadatMe
    Options
    Do we always set

Our boilers to make 180 because we don't do heat losses and calculate emitter output with lower water temps?

The MPO is a very good boiler. You can reset the boiler using the IQ card for the cast rads and then use a simple Taco I-Valve for the radiant. I don't know what your radiant design calls for water temps for the radiant so this is just a simple idea.

To allow yourself to make the right decision you need to calculate the heat loss of that second floor and then calculate what water temps you need through those rads to overcome it.

• jonny88
    Options
    burnham mpo?

thanks chris,you are right,my company never does a heat loss calc.im trying to download the one advertised on the taco website but am having problems downloading it.again though you are saying to convert to gas correct,a few people have told me the same but again they are fromthe company im working at and i dont really trust them.this is why i was looking at the oil boiler so i wouldnt have to convert,im sorry for going on,but really apreciate your advice
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    If you like oil

stay with it! If it were me and I had a home with radiant and CI rads with NG available,I would go with a Vitodens. The CI are always way oversized and will need much lower water temps than you think
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
This discussion has been closed.