Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam radiator inlet orifices

Options
Henry Gifford of Gifford Fuel Savings, Inc., New York City, wrote an article in ABMA in 2003 on this topic. It was titled How to Make a Two-Pipe Steam Heating System Really Work. It had a table that showed how large to drill a hole in inlet orifice blanks, for radiator square feet EDR. This table was, however, for 2 psig. I need a table for steam systems operating pressures from 1/2 to 1 psig. Also, if I'm using such pressure and have radiator inlet orifices, can I still configure my boiler for modulating operation; e.g., hi-lo-hi?

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Radiator Orifices

Hi-  Getting the right orifice size seems to be a matter of trial and error. There was a post a while back that suggested starting out with 1/8 inch orifices and if that isn't enough then just drill the hole out a bit more.

Theoretically if you can get a certain amount of steam through an orifice at 2 PSI you would need a larger orifice to get the same amount through in the same time frame at 1 PSI.

Here are a few orifice sizes and their corresponding cross sections.

Orifice Size           Cross Section

1/8                        0.01227

5/32                      0.01917

3/16                      0.02761

7/32                      0.03758

1/4                       0.04908

For example if you wanted try double the cross section of a 1/8 inch orifice, it would be 0.02454 which would come roughly between 5/32 and 3/16  so you might want to use an 11/64 drill bit.

Orifice plates are available from Tunstall,  either as blanks or with the orif0ces pre drilled.

http://www.tunstall-inc.com/tunstall-steam/inlet-orifice/

I think I'd make a list of the radiators and their individual EDR . After a bit of experimentation you should be able to guess and pretty close to what you need for a certain size radiator based on what you used previously on a similar size radiator.

As what would work best with the Hi -Lo is also an area that you will probably need to do some experimenting. Please let us know what you find out.

- Rod
This discussion has been closed.