Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

just because

Options
j a_2
j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
Just because you have that plumbing, gas , or pipe fitters licence.....It does not mean you are a pro at everything your licence allows you to do....That really bothers me, because I see it all the time....I am a firm believer, if you cant do it right the first time, then you cant do it..,Unless a customer is armed with a list of questions, suitable to his/her job, anyone can fill them full of false information, the scary part is, the potential installer really believes what he is telling you, and so do you....Make darn sure that your installer is fully trained and experienced in what he is selling you....If he is there for a steam boiler, ask him for references based on his last steam job, not his last toilet job...Get my point......If he doesnt follow Dans replacement guildlins, chances are, he is  a looser.....In my world I look at a job such as a steam boiler replacement  without fear of cost, but  fear of failure....To get to the point of no fear, requires endless hours of training and reading...along with experience...If you are about to shell out some 5k plus you better do your homework.....It takes a long time to save 5k dollars, at least for me it does....,It would really scare me if my installer had to open up the manual and start reading prior to insatlling...or got on his cell and called the manufacture to ask him basic guestions . That is not what they are there for....Each manufacture offers many training sessions for those type of questions...Find a guy that you trust and believe in and works with his head before his hands.....Get that list of questions, from this site and ask them before you secect your next installer....Just my simple input    JA

Comments

• Greg Maxwell
    Greg Maxwell Member Posts: 212
    Options
    Contractors

Amen. We run into it all the time, and usually, it is good contractors getting in over their heads. Instead of learning before taking a job, they take it because they dont want to lose it, and they dont want to sub-contract with someone that has experience in the type of job they are doing. Then, they have problems, and since they probably bought the equipment from us, we become involved in trying to get the job corrected, and often somehow, it becomes our problem.

Contractors, please take the time to learn. Dont take a job, and wish you hadent after. If you dont know, ask. Subcontract to someone who has done that type of job to work with you so you can learn from them. AND, read the manufacturers instructions. The devil is in the details.
This discussion has been closed.