Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

inspector issue

Dirwood
Dirwood Member Posts: 1
installed viessmann flat plate vitosol 200 - simple install works swell.  BUILDING inspector wants stamped PE drawings / documentation related to wind velocity resistance.  Used all Viessmann hardware as instructed really don't see need to waste $$ for PE for already factory engineered product.

anyone have any data on this - i have this sinking feeling Viessman support won't have anything useful for me...

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    I doubt it is the factory hardware that concerns him...

I suspect he is suspicious about the structural integrity of the dwelling to which it is attached.

In Denver, the code use to require structural engineer sign off on all solar installs. You can argue with them, but it is like wrestling with a pig in mud. The harder you wrestle, the more the pig likes it...

Try reasoning with him to see exactly what his concerns are. Sugar will get you much farther than vinegar.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,121
    Viessmann

will have the data for the equipment and any hardware the supplied. That is part of the SRCC requirement.

He probably wants some info on the fasteners you used to attach it to the structure, Maybe some data on the roof construction.

Madison, Wisconsin requires a analysis of the roof, they have a form that an installer can use that does not require an engineers stamp. Other cities have adopted that form or a version of it.

Solar Pro magazine had a good article on lag bolt sizing in June/ July 2010, written by engineer Mark Sheely.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • SunnySideofLIfe
    SunnySideofLIfe Member Posts: 3
    Viessmann

Hi Dirwood,

Viessmann factory rep's should have detailed information that you require. Having worked directly in their solar office, I know first hand they can provide details on the mounting hardware.  The maximum wind speeds aren't in their manuals but if you give them a call, they will be able to provide it.  If the building inspector is looking for a structural review of the existing roof, the manufacturer won't be able to help you...but if it is just concern's with mounting hardware it's self, you should be in luck. 

I don't recall if SRCC includes mounting hardware durability test in the OG 300 system requirements?  I know there is a collector impact test...I have attached the system component requirement document released by SRCC, for your reference.

Here is a link to all Viessmann OG-300 systems http://securedb.fsec.ucf.edu/srcc/system_search?action=search&show_options=1&debug=0&msrcc_id=&mtsystem_type=IF&maux_tank_type=0&mcompany=64&mtsystem_name=0&submit=Show+Selections

I agree with Mark...sugar is best:)  I find when I start the conversation with asking his/her thoughts it generally ends with me having the chance to effectively explain the system functions. 

Good Luck,
  • joseph annon
    joseph annon Member Posts: 53
    Madison form for solar panel install

Hi Hot Rod

I just read your posting and was wondering if you had a copy of Madison's form handy.

I have looked on their site and can't seem to locate the solar form.

I am part of a committee in New Mexico trying to get a form the local inspectors to use for roof mount of solar panels. This sounds like it may be of use for us.
    JMMA
This discussion has been closed.