Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Downstairs AC Returns

I'm considering central ac in my home, and have discussed it with a contractor. He indicated it would not be easy to put returns downstairs, however, it really would not be necessary. He appears to want to put an adequate number in each bedroom, along with an adaquate # of supplys and returns upstairs, however, feels it would not be necessary to put returns down on the first floor. I only have one bedroom on the first floor, and 4 bedrooms on the second. If I use baseboard hear, and not forced air, would there necessarily be a problem without return on the first floor? It would be a 4 ton unit in the attic.

Comments

• RDSTEAM
    RDSTEAM Member Posts: 134
    best spot for that

would be right in the second floor ceiling. that will pull all the heat right out of the house. do you have a basement?? if you have a basement you might want to think about dehumidification in the basement if humidity is a problem
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Returns

The returns in the bedrooms is a good idea,allowing  for privacy .We always put a low return ,where physically possible,on the 1st floor to "circulate"  that air to prevent it from becoming stale/stagnent.Cold air settles ,warm air rises.Even a hi return on the 1st floor is better than no return.It works for us!
This discussion has been closed.