Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bearings for Furnace

Options
bungalowbo
bungalowbo Member Posts: 3
I moved into a home two weeks ago. The AC died about three seconds after I started it. I called the company that the previous owner had service the AC/Heating. They came over and flipped a breaker/fuse and it worked again. He also oiled the bearings. However, after he left, I found one of the bearings on top of the furnace.

1.) Does this bearing need to be put back on?

2.) The furnance is a Duomax from the 1980's...any comments on this type of furnance? I am concerned about how old it is. Even the home inspector did not pick up on how old this furnace is.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• bungalowbo
    Options
    I meant....

a Duomatic Olsen furnace. Thanks
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    are you

Are you sure he didnt replace a bearing instead and leave the used one? I would contact them for clarification. As far as the furnace, at minimum I would have a full service to include heat exchanger inspection prior to the heating season and honstely would strongly consider replacing it.
  • bungalowbo
    Options
    Bearings

I watched what he was doing, but do not recall if he put both bearings back on. I remember he slid them off and put oil on the things you slide them onto. He said they were "oil-less bearings" as I recall, so it was strange he was putting oil on. I did run the AC after he left. I just don't want to hurt the system running it with a bearing not on. It is a gas furnace.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    bearings

sounds like you have pillow block bearings if they had an oiler, if not they are Lau. If there are any bearing issues, the shaft should also be replaced. New bearings won't last with a scored shaft
This discussion has been closed.