Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Averaging sensors for thermostats

Options
cgw
cgw Member Posts: 42
Typical split system with furance in a small offce occupancy. Thermostat with remote averaging sensors (Honeywell).  Do averaging sensers work very well? Are there situations they work better or arn't worth it?

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Within reason....

But remember, it is an "averaging" sensor, meaning that if it is ZERO in one room, and 140 in another, that is an average of 70 degrees F...

If all loads are relatively equal and the emitters are equal, then it should work, but if there are major differences, it may not work, and you won't know until you try.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Wholy COW???

Mark:

At first I had to take a double take on your figures, but all is goo with you......:-)  Not being a math major, I used the all powerful calculator and I get your result and your thinking........

So I'm not going crazy......

Mikie T.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options

Averaging sensors are designed for large commercial use where there is a large volume of conditioned space in one zone; ie: movie theatre. I don't think they are very practical for small residential use with sensors in separate rooms. The temperature output of the system doesn't change. You may condition one zone better, but only by over/under shooting the other zone. It's the same idea as moving a T-stat around the house to make certain rooms more comfortable. I think it's more of a psychological sales pitch to homeowners. Seeing a sensor in every room makes you feel like the system is monitoring your comfort.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options

Averaging sensors are designed for large commercial use where there is a large volume of conditioned space in one zone; ie: movie theatre. I don't think they are very practical for small residential use with sensors in separate rooms. The temperature output of the system doesn't change. You may condition one zone better, but only by over/under shooting the other zone. It's the same idea as moving a T-stat around the house to make certain rooms more comfortable. I think it's more of a psychological sales pitch to homeowners. Seeing a sensor in every room makes you feel like the system is monitoring your comfort.
  • Greg Maxwell
    Greg Maxwell Member Posts: 212
    Options
    Averaging

I would think avering sensors would work best in areas where the room temp is only a few degrees different from one area to another. I was going to use them once on a steam system where there was a great deal of difference between 2 spaces, (it was an inn), and the guests were complaining. I was advised against it, because the loads were so different between the 2 areas.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Mikeie...

Sorry about the use of the extremely graphic math :-) But you get the picture...

I've had actual situations whereby one room was 75, and another 65, which averages out to 70 and neither of the rooms were what I'd really consider "comfortable".

Averaging thermostats are not the answer for good comfort.

Non electric thermostats are, and are available for any hydronic configuration, including baseboard distribution.

Forced error systems also now have access to individual VAV dampers, but would require a change in the blower technology to allow the blower to see changes in the distribution system, and with the inherent leakage of older duct systems, that could be problematic.

ME

ps.... Math was never my stronger suit as well. In fact, while in H.S., the only math I figured I really needed to know was bore X bore X stroke X # of cylinders for engine displacement, and simple addition and subtraction to run my check book. Boy was I wrong. I happened to come across my old H.S. math teacher (Mr. Marvin Tyer) while I was doing a job for a local school district, and walked into his class, and thanked him personally for kicking me in the butt and making me learn the basics, and told the students that they NEED to learn and use the math this gent was teaching them... I hope it made his day. I know it made mine.

ME

• Greg Maxwell
    Greg Maxwell Member Posts: 212
    Options
    Averaging Tstats

What you may be able to di is if you can find a more central place to mount the stat, use the new Honeywell Wireless tstat & receiver combo.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    temperture averaging t/stats

I have used them in both residental and commerical jobs for both a/c and heating but on most of these jobs either the a/c and or  the heating systems where sized properly and i used them to even out the temperture over the area they served.On a/c systems (commerical)we usually have the fan running constantly and use the averaging stat to cycle the a/c side .The best luck i have had with them is on light commerical jobs where 2 or 3 smaller units (5 ton ) serve the smae area or level .The promblem was extreme short cyling and lack of proper cooling due to each system cycling on and off  and effecting each others stat .What i usually do is make a isolation relay controll combining all the air handlers controls and isolatiing them and have them all controlled by the temperture averaging stat and setting them up as 2 or 3 stages .The results have been very good systems which worked terrible and had never really worked well in the first place now work great and the custermners where extrememly  amazed that there cooling system worked so good just from some thing as simple as a temperture averaging tstat .They are not the cure all to every job but they are a great tool to have in your tool mind box and have there plae in the field .Don't think that they will fix all promblems assicoted with a bad install ,As for commerial office spaces where there are wide temp differences take a good look at the return duct work if there is any if not don't think a TAS will fix it it won't .Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    Options
    averaging just means

equally uncomfortable in all areas. you dont' "nail it" anywhere.

I vastly prefer to put a thermostat somewhere where "nailing it" is a good idea. If you can't balance another area into acceptable range from that... you need another zone.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • ljacobs1987
    ljacobs1987 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Thermostat

I have a similar question if someone wouldn't mind helping me. I found some information on how

to install thermostats
    but I need a little more help. Some things aren't quite clear to me. Is this something that I should just get someone to do for me or is the average person capable of installing the thermostat on their own? Thanks for any more advice you can offer!
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited August 2011
    Options
    re:ljacobs1987

It depends :).  Installing a t'stat is about the easiest thing you can do, if you are semi handy, and know how to shut off the power to the unit/equipment you are working on. HOWEVER, there are many things NOT mentioned in the article you referenced.  So ask away with questions and we'll try to help.  But first, please provide us with more info:

1. What type of heating, A/C equipment? Is it oil/gas, furnace/boiler, is the thermostat used for both both A/C and heat? 

2. If it's for a boiler, does it control a specific zone, ( a zone valve or a circulator)

3. What kind of thermostat do you currently have, and what kind do you want to replace it with.  If you don't know, post a pic of it.

Also you may want to start with your questions in another thread, so the wallies don't think it's a thread they already saw/responded to.

This discussion has been closed.