Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler sizing and brands

ed wallace
ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
will be replaceing an older burnham boiler total edr of radiators is 715 sq ft of radiation which is a better fit a wiel eg45 rated for  or a burnham IN9 boiler has a baseboard loop and a superstor indirect

Comments

• Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    I'd go

with the Burnham and their cast iron push nipples . Not saying the Weil would fail sooner , but when we run across a leaker it's usually at the O rings .
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    All o ring leakers I find

have been assembled wrong. I have had no issues with the orings when I have assembled the boilers. I have always been pro iron push nipples but I think the issue with orings is sloppy workmanship not the seal itself. It is the installer not the boiler you pay for.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    weil O Rings

Amen, Charlie...well said...with over 300 Weils installed in the last 15 years, never an O Ring issue....consider using an SGO with a Riello gas burner......OK with Weil to do so but check local codes...just like that combo a lot better and wish Weil would UL list and offer it that way.
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    edited June 2011
    WM 80?

Not for the installation described in this thread, but for my own future project,

What would you think of a WM 480 with a Riello 2 stage gas burner. It would be slightly oversized for my application once I install inlet orifices, but would be downfired?

Another option is a Burnham v904 with a powerflame burner, but is oversized.  Would also be downfired, and I believe that  since combustion air is tightly controlled, efficiency would not be compromised, perhaps improved slightly.

Concerns are the comparison of overall quality and durability of the WM and Burnham, and the relative noise level of the burners.  It would seem that the Riello with its accoustic cover would be much quieter, but have not had a first hand comparison.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
This discussion has been closed.