Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Onset boiler efficiency data loggers

Options
I recently purchased my first onset-Hobo boiler effiency data loggers. I am in the process of writing a brochure for marketing and trying to determine a price to charge per boiler.

Does any one else use them, and if so what is your experience with them. Also if you happen to have photos of them on a boiler I can use for my brochure I would appreciate that.

Thank You

Phillac

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Not a pretty picture...

Not that you CAN'T make it look pretty, but you are going to be doing this on a temporary basis.

The data loggers (Hobo's) are the same size as a pager. Not much to be seen. There are sensors with leads coming out of that going to the loggers. I have some 50' leads, for getting to the outside of the building, and the excess wire ends up all over the place while recording.

What specific types of systems are you going to be monitoring and how do you intend to monitor?

I have a little bit of experience in this area ;-)

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• archibald tuttle
    archibald tuttle Member Posts: 1,085
    Options
    which model are you using?

Are you running a U-12 or . . .

I definitely want to set one up for medium term monitoring of different firing and control approaches. For steam I'm planning to buy this digital low pressure controller with 4-20ma channel as well. Seems reasonably priced and although not marketed for steam I'm thinking priced fairly enough to try behind a pigtail.

Anyway, I'm looking at 4 channels, outdoor temp, indoor temp, boiler pressure and an on/off state monitor for the burner. With the few discussions I've had with onset, the simplest thing seems to be the hardest to monitor, i.e. on/off of boiler. They want to sell me fairly expensive modules to do this.  I haven't been very satisfied with my ability to get onset focused on cost effective way to monitor this aspect.

It just seems silly that it would be cheaper to put a pilot light on the same circuit and point a lumen sensor at it than just measure current mored directly, but that is what I seem to be hearing about these.

brian

PS- they also seem remarkably uninterested in offering any responsive channels, i.e. for control or alarm.  These don't have to function as principle safeties or anything but an alert of apparent efficiency problems or even non-safety oriented control where you might want logically moving setpoints depending on multiple parameters. why leave all the fun to black boxs from tekmar . . . just saying
  • archibald tuttle
    edited June 2011
    Options

dupe
  • archibald tuttle
    edited June 2011
    Options

dupe