Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pressure switches

Anybody know of a source for good quality pressure differential diaphram switches? The OEM switches on most makes of boiler are (were) large diameter, metal construction, and lasted 12-15 years. All the replacements are crappy little plastic after-market pieces that may last a year and may not work right out of the box. I'm talking Lochinvar and Wiel-Mclain in particular.

Comments

• Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    Jumping to Conclusions

OK, I was supplied with pressure switches NOT approved or supplied by the factory as replacements. My apologies. Just beware of those "Universal" chinese pieces that fit anywhere with a little adjustment. You get what you pay for.....
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Well.....

that's a sticky wicket you're playing through there. With the exception of a few parts (pressure relief valve for example) you are SUPPOSED to use factory supplied parts where critical safety is concerned, and in the case of a pressure differential switch or plain pressure switch, those components are considered critical.

If you can get the factorys approval on an alternate product, Barksdale makes a nice, but pricey differential switch.

http://www.barksdale.com/en/products/section/pressure-switches/mechanical/differential-switches/

Seems to have a smoother/better mechanical action on it.

But always ask before applying... otherwise, YOU hold the bag of liability for the whole shebang. And I seriously doubt that you are prepared to take on that risk factor. :-)

I'm fairly certain I'm not. Got enough liability as it is...

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    common practice

Right. Just as soon not have liability. But wholesalers will substitute parts in order to clear the shelves or better thier margin. Your better off going directly to the factory Tech Support to get the proper part number, then order it. However, at -25 degrees something needs to be done fast, know what I'm sayin?
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    cold customers pay better than

dead ones. also their families sue less.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    I hear ya...

And if it is installed in a temporary situation, I think you'd be OK, but make certain that the "temporary" repairs are clearly labeled on your service invoice just in case things go to hell in a hand basket. Make note on the SO of when teh parts are anticipated to be in, and keep pressure on your wholesaler to keep the proper parts in stock. There's not THAT many moving parts on boilers...

If you simply didn't fix it because no parts were available, some lawyers would pursue you if there was any freeze damage...

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
This discussion has been closed.