Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need a core for a Taco HX, coils in shell.

Options
Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
Can anyone IM me that can find a replacement core for a large Taco HX

for a decent price? I am being taken advantage of by my local rep, I am

afraid.

About 4-5 feet long, 5-6" in diameter. I can get all the exact info Wednesday.

Thanks,  Tim
Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Try these guys Tim...

http://www.coilreplacement.com/

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Timco
    Options
    Thanks!

That may be just the ticket!!! I refuse to even entertain what my Taco rep wants for a replacement core.
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 705
    Options
    replacement tube bundle

Good Morning Timco

I can understand your frustration after contacting the local representative, and finding out that the replacement tube bundle (core) is almost as much as the entire shell and tube heat exchanger.  I too wanted to know why to the two items are close in price, so I asked the question to those very knowledgeable and eager to accommodate Taco heat transfer division engineers. 

All taco heat transfer division products are ASME certified.  Every piece of steel that makes its way into that facility can be traced to its original origin.  As it flows through the fabrication process it is autographed by every technician until its final hydrostatic testing point and then tested to 1.3 times its working pressure rating.  If it passes the hydrostatic testing a technician qualified under the UG90C2 code inspects the product and assigns a serial number and national board number where it’s registered for life.  The replacement tube bundles have to go through the same process, and then disassembled, packaged, and shipped to the customer. 

Taco, will not take an order for a replacement tube bundle unless the inquiring customer provides the national board number, and serial number located on the heat exchanger in two locations to assure the replacement tube bundle will be built to the exact specification as the original.  It’s a very labor intensive process, which hopefully explains why the cost of a replacement tube bundle can be almost as much as a complete unit.   Please call me direct if you have any questions
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
  • PLUMLOCO
    PLUMLOCO Member Posts: 5
    Options
    HE

I call Kendall Boiler in Chelmford Mass. They can have them made quickly
  • Timco
    Options
    Thanks for the reply!

Joe,

Thanks for your reply regarding the replacement core for the Taco HX. Please allow me to provide some honest feedback regarding the prices quoted.

If this HX was going on the space station, a power plant, or a nuclear submarine, I could totally understand the need for such a high level of materials quality control and the price that brings. It is good to know that a company like Taco is capable of producing equipment to these specs. However, this unit is in a 40 apartment complex, and the owner will not pay the amount quoted for the piece of mind that comes with knowing what batch the parts came from and from where these materials were mined....especially when the unit that has failed has a 09/02 date on it. The biggest concern here is balancing cost, quality and down time. If cost becomes the biggest piece of the pie, there is no logical way that this particular unit's cost can be justified when other companies offer replacement components with the same warranty for less than half. To really simplify this, we are discussing a copper tube that makes a single pass in and back, and some baffles and a gasket. The other manufacturers use a single extruded piece, so no braises there either.

I appreciate your reply, but it does appear that I will be installing a Ford HX in a Chevy body to make this repair as cost beneficial and quality minded as possible for my customer.

Tim
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    A.S.M.E. =....

A Substantial Monetary Exchange.

Or, as one of my students told me Always, Sometimes, Maybe, EXCEPT.

Sounds like you found an EXCEPTion :-)

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
This discussion has been closed.