Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rigid Dies

Is anyone having a problem with Rigid Die teeth? I recently changed a set of

1 1/4" teeth but the teeth kept binding up and ripping threads. I took them out and tried again many times without any luck. I was threading by hand, using lots of oil and I bought different brands of pipe from different stores. I have been threading and changing teeth for over thirty years and never had this problem before. I had a problem with bad pipe years ago, but that can't be the case here. The new die teeth wiggle a little in the die head, but the old teeth fit really snug. I think that's the problem. Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be the fault of the new ownership op Rigid? Will any other manufacturers die teeth fit the Rigid head?

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    I think you got bad teeth

In your die head that is. Have you tried a different set? I would bring them back and tell them you want a new set and another length of pipe to make up for what you had to throw away. I have a set of adjustable die heads I use for 1 1/4" to 2" if I need to hand thread. Other wise I use the 300 power head. My small ratchet dies only go up to 1". Is this in a power threader or hand stocks?
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    one more thought Bob

I once got a bit of steel in a die head and could not get the teeth tight. We all have days like that some times. Maybe a bit is stuck in one of the teeth? Before you say no I will admit this was not a tale from my youth it happened last year when I was in a rush.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating Member Posts: 1,361
    edited May 2011
    Die Teeth

Charlie, I'll check again for debris in the die head but I cleaned it out several times, because I couldn't get to the supply store and then get a parking spot back at the job. The old teeth fit tight and two of the new teeth fit tight but the other two new teeth would wiggle in their machined space, I think they are a little thinner. Does Reed or anyone else make teeth that fits Rigid? I use the die heads with a power threader and a hand threader, I was using the hand threader when I had the problem.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
This discussion has been closed.