Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

H stamp requirements for smaller boilers in PA, MI, and WI

67scott71 Member Posts: 2
Can anyone tell me the state requirements for H stamps on heating boilers in these states? As I understand it, most states do not require H stamps for boilers under 200,000 BTU/h but these staes do? Is this correct?


  • HDE
    HDE Member Posts: 225

    I can confirm Michigan is a yes
  • bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429

    Just what is an H  stamp?
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Just what is an H stamp?


    Out of curiousity, what stamp would apply for a steam locomotive these days? Do they actually get one? I assume these were mostly made before they had stamps and are grandfathered in. Perhaps the boiler tubes are stamped, but the boiler shell and the firebox?


    I know the people I know that have them have to be insured by Hartford and must get them inspected and hydraulically tested annually. You have to have a black seal license to be a fireman (now known as a boiler operator) and a blue seal license to drive one. The boss of the outfit had a gold seal license, but I do not believe he needed it. I think steam locomotive engineers needed a special endorsement, but I am not sure of that. If an insurance company will insure it, does it still need a stamp?
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    H stamps.

    I may be wrong, but i believe that the vessel stamps are now controlled by the ASME. 

    You are correct with the Hartford requirements.  The operators of large plants are now divided into stationary (building) and mobile (ships) engineers.  Boiler Operators are supervised by Boiler Engineers.  The Engineers are licensed as 4th thru 1st Class according to the Heating Capacity of the Plant.  And the vessel itself is stamped according to pressure and boiler horsepower.

    It has been a few years since I did Large Commercial and Industrial work, so things could have changed a little.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    The State of New Jersey has 13 licensing levels:

    It looks as though a Red Seal license may have been enough for my friend at his day job running a steam plant at Ft. Dix. But that he should have the Gold Seal license for running the steam locomotives.

    The State of New Jersey has 13 licensing levels:
    1. New Jersey White Seal Boiler operator Special
    2. New Jersey Black Seal Low Pressure Operator
    3. New Jersey Black Seal High Pressure Operator
    4. New Jersey Black Seal High Pressure Operator in Charge
    5. New Jersey Blue Seal 3rd Class1C Stationary Engineer
    6. New Jersey Red Seal 2nd Class1B Stationary Engineer
    7. New Jersey Gold Seal 1st Class1A Stationary Engineer
    8. New Jersey Blue Seal 3rd Class2C Refrigeration Engineer
    9. New Jersey Red Seal 2nd Class2B Refrigeration Engineer
    10. New Jersey Gold Seal 3rd Class1A Refrigeration Engineer
    11. New Jersey Blue Seal Third Class 8C Portable Boiler Engineer
    12. New Jersey Red Seal Second Class 8B Portable Boiler Engineer
    13. New Jersey Gold Seal First Class 9A Steam Locomotive Engineer
  • TarmSalesGuy
    TarmSalesGuy Member Posts: 1
    add MA

    MA also requires ASME - I think these are the only four states that require ASME on boilers under 200kBTU, but my understanding is that all states (except NH and VT and possibly OR) require ASME stamps on any size boiler in a commercial installation (commercial, industrial, institutional, multi-family.  NH and VT have recently recognized European Norm EN 303-5 as a valid substitute for ASME in commercial applications.  This allows us, for example, to now sell our non-ASME European pellet boilers into commercial applications in the state without having to use open expansion.
This discussion has been closed.