Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

It is done...

Mark Eatherton
Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
No, not the book, THE Colonoscopy...

I've been putting it off, and when a friend recently popped up with Colon Cancer, I and the TLLA decided to quit stalling and went in and got 'er done.

Here is a link to an article written by the humorist Dave Barry.

<a href="http://www.miamiherald.com/2009/02/11/v-fullstory/427603/dave-barry-a-journey-into-my-colon.html">http://www.miamiherald.com/2009/02/11/v-fullstory/427603/dave-barry-a-journey-into-my-colon.html</a>

If you've been through this experience, you will CERTAINLY be able to relate...

If you've not yet had this procedure, and are over the age of 50 or have a family history of colon cancer, get it done. THEN you WILL be able to relate.

Word of warning. Keep a box of tissues close by when you read the article... I was laughing so hard, I couldn't breath, and my eyes were so full of tears that I had to stop reading and recover... Great stuff. (The article AND the drugs)

Nothing feels better than knowing what you DON'T have wrong with you :-)

Enjoy!

ME

PS, Book is getting closer.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    If you've been through this experience

I have been through it several times. I even know the people now. The last time, I had a comedian for an anaesthetist. He told me he was using the same anaesthetic that Michael Jackson was taking. Very reassuring.
  • Sal Santamaura
    Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 532
    Had my first one seven years ago...

and due for a follow up this year.

The doctor, upon entering the room, spoke a phrase I'd been warned was his standard.  "Sal, are you going to do this like a man?"  Meaning, without sedative.  I said:  "Sure, but let me have my eyeglasses back;  if I'm going to go through it that way I should at least be able to watch the monitor / enjoy the show."

And so I did.  Fortunately, completely clean, and a fascinating journey the screen provided.  :-)  In addition to the camera, three other capabilities are provided by the probe;  air injection, water injection and suction.  The only thing approaching discomfort was a feeling of bloating when he injected air.  That quickly subsided after suction deflated things each time.

I highly recommend that anyone comfortable with this approach take the opportunity to forego drugs.  Safer and a more interesting experience.
  • Mark Eatherton
    A bigger man than I...

I got "photographs" of the procedure after the fact.

Close enough to reality TV for me :-)

ME

• Mark Eatherton
    He wasn't kidding JD....

It IS the same drug the MJ OD'd on...

From what I am told, you are awake and coherent, but you don't remember a thing. I apologized for any thing I might say under the influence of the drug, in advance. The Dr. just laughed, and gave me the shot into la la land.

ME ZZZzzzzzzzzz...

• Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Not yet...

but I would be more inclined to take the drugs and skip the Colonoscopy!
  • Jean-David Beyer
    He wasn't kidding JD....

I know he was not kidding. But he was still a comedian.

He then pointed out that he was licensed to prescribe its use in this state, that he was licensed to administer it in this state, that I would be continuously monitored by him during the procedure and he would not leave the room. Also it would be administered for a shorter time than was used for Mr. Jackson.
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,170
    edited May 2011
    Diagnostic Tool

I get one every 3 years because my doctors found and removed some polyps the last time and they want to keep a close eye on me.  Without the test and removal, the polyps could have developed into cancer.  The colonoscopy saved my life.

I had the same experience as Mark: a contractor friend of mine got colon cancer.  Seeing him lose half his weight from radiation treatment got me off my **** to get the test.  Glad I did.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Clif Heeney_2
    Clif Heeney_2 Member Posts: 53
    Good For You ME

Hey Mark!

Had my second one on 2 May.  No polyps and like you and Dave the biggest discomfort was the nuclear laxative.

Glad to hear that you are good to go for another 5 years!

It is manly to take care of oneself!  If not for yourself, then do it for the wife and kids!
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    just grit your teeth and do it

When i was 55 the doctor told me it was time to take a close personal look at things. i was not happy but I begrudgingly went along with the idea. The thing I remember to this day from that experience was walking into the room and seeing a two gallon bottle of lubricant hanging on the wall next to the six foot implement of doom with the camera at the tip.

I've had it twice since then and I have to say the procedure is nothing compared to the prep the night before. I'm retired now and i intend on hanging around to collect as much social security as i possibly can so I'll be sailing again in a few more years.

BTW gin works well with the lemon-lime flavored torture.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • solradman
    solradman Member Posts: 58
    Has anyone tried Costa Rica

Has anyone tried or heard of anyone using the option "cheapcolonscopy.com"  The procedure is done in Costa Rica for $950.00 including airfare.
  • solradman
    solradman Member Posts: 58
    Has anyone tried Costa Rica

Has anyone tried or heard of anyone using the option "cheapcolonscopy.com"  The procedure is done in Costa Rica for $950.00 including airfare.
  • Paul Rohrs_14
    Paul Rohrs_14 Member Posts: 80
    Ah. Glad to hear you have the all clear

Regards,

Paul
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Does the EPA know what they are doing?

That is a lot of BTUs being wasted. Did anyone check the burners for proper combustion?
This discussion has been closed.