Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam pipes in wall

Options
EdC
EdC Member Posts: 3
I have an old Victorian that a customer bought and is re-habbing, he would like to keep the steam heat (for now) and would like to move some radiators around. Can I relocate an 1/1/4" steam line into an outside wall? It is a one pipe system that currently needs some tlc. Thanks Ed

Comments

• RDSTEAM
    RDSTEAM Member Posts: 134
    Options
    a lot goes into piping

dont just move the pipe without making sure you have proper pitch and size. depending on how the piping will be done will determine what size and pitch you need. You can probably find the pitch and sizing charts on this site, or if you have "Lost Art" its in there. Enjoy and be careful those lines dont freeze with condensate if they are not pitched right.
  • EdC
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks, I have never installed a steam pipe in a wall, and got the okay by local plumbing inspector, no concerned on pitch in wall as it will only be vertical in wall. I would prefer not to install in wall, but the only alternative is to eliminate the radiator to second floor room.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Pitch

The vertical pipe is of no concern, it is the horizontal runs that have to be carefully pitched so condensate can find it's way back to the boiler. Be especially careful of the short horizontal pipe on the second floor, that pipe and the radiator it feeds need enough pitch so water can flow back to the boiler. You might have to put shims under the radiator feet to get good pitch. Also make sure the horizontal pipe in the basement has pitch back towards the boiler.

The horizontal piping needs 1/2 inch of pitch in a 10 foot run, page 86 in "The Lost Art of Steam Heating" has this information. Make sure you don't create any dips where water can collect or all your hard work will reward you with water hammer (steam encountering pooled water in a pipe).

good luck,

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Options
    Move the steam, not the iron

You mentioned that the system needs some TLC and your post suggest that moving some radiators around may correct the defieciencies.  My suggestion is to get the system working correctly first.  It is much easier to move the steam rather than the iron.   

Why does the riser to 2nd floor have to be moved?
  • EdC
    Options
    pipe in wall

new kitchen design, customer is gutting house but still wants the Victorian look of the radiators. I am roughing in heat lines to second for future baseboard heat upgrade. I tried talking him into new boiler and baseboard heat, his wife wants the radiators. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.