Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buffer/inhibitor for Glycol

TonyS
TonyS Member Posts: 849
Does anyone know what bufferring agent is used for propylene glycol?It has to be some inexpensive, generic chemical.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,120
    depends on what you afre trying to buffer

There are products in glycol for oxygen scavanging, ph buffering, and usually a film provider to protect new metal surfaces.  Also if the freeze protection level drops from water being added you need to boost up the mix %.  You can buy straight un-cut glycol to quickly boost freeze protection without needing to swap out a bunch of fluid.

How old is the fluid, what number is dropping.  Over-heating is a common cause of glycol failure, installing it in a dirty system, or blending it with poor quality water.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Inhibitor

http://www.pexsupply.com/Hercules-35276-Cryo-Tek-Anti-Freeze-Triple-Protection-Universal-Inhibitor-8-oz

Just something to boost ph. None of the local supply houses have it and want me to purchase an entire case to get it.

I was thinking , maybe its just soda ash or some readily available industrial chemical.

Thanks
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Buffers:

Plumbers' Supply Company in New Bedford/Fall River, MA has it in user quantities. I'm sure that they would UPS some to you. You need the stuff for aluminum block Weil-McLain boilers. They also have PH meters. At least they have them in the case for display or purchase in the store I purchase from.
  • haventseenenough
    haventseenenough Member Posts: 61
    ph

Why not use ph booster for spas and pools?
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Ferguson Supply in Denver

3625 East 48th Avenue

Denver, CO 80216-3011

(303) 320-4833

Ask for Dennis Bellanti

He has access to a product produced by a company named Chemical SPecialties, Inc called CST 50. It is a pH buffer.inhibitor for use with glycnoids. It is also used as an anti oxidant in ice cream, so it meets the safe fluid requirements.

I've also used it in non glycoled systems as a water treatment, and have been back to job sites many years later, and the fluid is crystal clear.

Tell Dennis I said hello.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Tim Potter
    Tim Potter Member Posts: 273
    Chemical SPecialties, CST 50

Mark, would you suggest that product (or any other product) for a system like mine that does not use Glycol?

Thank You:

Tim
    Winter Park, CO & Arvada, CO
This discussion has been closed.