Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Eliminating blow back when filling tanks

BeatByHeat
BeatByHeat Member Posts: 10
Hello all I just recently purchased a rental property and when I had the tanks filled (Three tanks total) the delivery guy said it blew back on him and splashed the side of the house. Well splash was an understatement, so I know these things are piped wrong. I know I need a new vent alarm on it, but that is not the problem as the other two tanks aren't filled when it blows back.

I tried taking picture but they didn't come out, there is no light in this tank room. Please bear with my artwork.

*Look at picture*

The fill (red) into tank 1 is 2", the vent (teal) coming from the 3rd tank is only 1 1/4", with another 1 1/4" inch line venting tank two that ties into it. The crossovers were put in on 3-4" nipples raising it off the tanks a bit, which I thought was really odd.

Looking at my tank setup, would a good solution be to bring the Fill in like it is, but instead of right into tank 1, put it to a T first, which will send 2" pipe from there over to the other tanks, that way I think it will have to fill the other two before it can blow back out the fill, and it's not relying on the raised crossover to transfer oil. I enclosed some more artwork to illustrate this.

Any insight is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I wouldn't

I personally wouldnt pipe it that way at all.  There are many multi-type tank set ups piped this way that im sure work fine.  Your basic problem is the tank(s) won't vent properly because the first, then the second tank are completely full (and pressurized).  When the driver disconnects from the fill pipe, it just wants to blow right back at him.  I think  the best method, if it works for you, is 3 supply fills, and 3 vents with vent-a-larms.  Second best would be this sketch:
    steve
  • BeatByHeat
    that would work.

Thanks for the reply Steve. I should of noted that with the way I wanted to do my supply, that I was going to leave the existing crossover there in the back, and run a new 2" vent from the third tank. This would not work? Your solution is perfect, but I have a limited amount of wall space to work with, so I would have to buy even more fittings, and I wasn't looking to buy 20 more feet of pipe.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    I would

have separate fills installed, and use a common vent if need be. All tanks must have their own ventalarm/gauge, but you can "T" them in to a common 2" pipe that terminates the building. Even though cross over fills are legal here in Mass, i never piped multiple tanks that way. You are pressurizing one tank to fill another. Not my idea of a good tank install.
  • BeatByHeat
    Where is the pressure coming from?

If the fill Ts at the first tank, it will fill until its full and then the oil will have to go to the second tank, and then the third tank. As long as there's a vent in the third, and the existing crossover stays in place for air movement, I don't see how it could build any pressure. I took measurements for the three individual fills solution and I'm going to need close to 35 more feet or so of pipe, plus fittings plus the vent gauges. With the price of everything anymore I really wasn't prepared to get into that.

Thanks for the insight guys.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    Beat

The pressure comes from the fact the first tank needs to fill above its top and flow into the next tank. 2" pipe needs to be used if piping as cross over fill on tanks. This is another reason people pipe individual fills.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • BeatByHeat
    edited May 2011
    Thanks Charlie

Thanks for the input, but I don't understand how pressure could build up here. I enclosed another elementary school art project to hopefully show what I'm trying to go for.

If you look at the picture, when the first tank gets full, the fuel will have to flow to tank two and so on. Any air pressure in tanks 1 and 2 is going to go through the rear cross over (which is already on the tanks, I don't have to do it) and out the new vent alarm. When two gets full it will have to send it across and down into 3, that pressure going out the vent in the same tank. All in 2".

I'm not purposely trying to be difficult, I'm only trying to save myself some money I've already poured a lot into this place since I bought it. Not only that, but this is an old house with 2' limestone foundation and putting two new holes in it will not be fun.

Thanks sincerely for the suggestions.
  • chapchap70
    chapchap70 Member Posts: 139
    Get a good vent alarm

The "weak link" in oil tank vent piping is the vent alarm.  A restriction in the vent alarm can cause blow back when oil delivery hoses are quickly disconnected from the tank piping no matter how the tanks are installed.  Obviously, any severe vent restriction can cause blow back but the culprit is often located in the vent alarm or the vent alarm itself.

I have noticed that some newer vent alarms designed to have louder whistles tend to blow back more often even on single tank installations.  In order to make more noise, there has to be a slightly higher restriction; ie the vent alarm float could be slightly heavier so more air pressure is required to flow into the opening to raise the float which causes the louder and higher pitched whistle.

An experienced oil delivery driver should be able to tell if there is a restriction in the vent while in the process of making a delivery and take appropriate steps to avoid blow back whether it be slowing down the fill rate and/or disconnecting slowly when finished.

My recommendation is to pipe the vent in 2 inch instead of 1 1/4 inch and get a Scully 2 inch vent alarm instead of King or OEM.  I think the 2 inch Scully model number is 209.
  • chapchap70
    2nd crossover

I don't see any benefit of adding a second crossover scheme especially when connected directly to the fill pipe.  If it was the only crossover, the scheme would cause back pressure into the fill pipe and may still do so to a lesser degree. 
  • Jim Hankinson
    Jim Hankinson Member Posts: 99
    Piping per code

I was curious to see if there was a prescribed piping method for 3 tanks in NFPA31, I knew there was for 2. The piping per the 2011 edition is as follows: tank 1) separate fill and vent. Tanks 2 & 3) fill into tank 2, 2" crossover into tank 3, vent from tank 3 only.

I used to fill quite a few dual tank setups and never had a situation with full size crossover tanks that caused back pressure as long as the vent was sized sufficiently.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    crossover

this is what Charlie and I are talking about. The all 3  T'd in is not a good setup. JMHO
  • BeatByHeat
    ok ok.

Looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet if my design will not work. Not looking forward to punching the holes :)

Thanks chap for the idea, thanks Jim for the code specifics.
  • Ed N.Y.C.
    Ed N.Y.C. Member Posts: 73
    Fill & Vent

Since fill and vent are both open to atmosphere there is nothing to stop oil from going up vent as well as tank to tank. To do this with out 3 fill lines  is  #1 NO TEE'S   #2  2inch fill to tank #1   #3  2inch bridge from tank #1  to tank #2 with double  swing  #4 2inch bridge from tank #2 to tank #3 with double swing. #5 2inch vent with 2inch pipe. This way as oil is going in it is forcing air out from tank to tank to tank to vent. In N.Y.C. 3 tank hooked up this way is a no  no  but 2 tanks are ok. I would check if legal in your area if so this will do it    Hope this helps  ED N.Y.C.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Filling three tanks:

Perhaps this arrangement is why it is illegal to connect more than two 275 gallon oil tanks together. 660 gallons is the most you can store in two tanks and three 275 tanks hold 825 gallons of oil.

I don't see how the middle or end tank could ever fill properly. It would take a 1/2" feed on the bottom to be the equalizer pipe.

Just because three tanks are tied together, doesn't make it right and maybe that's why. It is too difficult to fill them all at once.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    Ice I never did the math. thanks for doing it.

I guess that is why I never see three tanks tied together.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • chapchap70
    edited May 2011
    Was there blow back during every delivery for years?

Since this is not a new building, I am wondering how the tanks were filled before.  As far as I know, I have never filled three tanks with one fill. 

When I looked at the picture on how this was set up, it seemed that there would be some oil that would jump the second tank at the tee when crossing over from the first. 

The setup would have worked better if there were two crossovers instead of one that stretched from the first to the third tanks with a tee into the second tank.  If the tee into the second tank was an elbow, and a plug was removed from the second tank to start a second crossover to the third tank, it probably would have worked better.  The vent pipe out of the second tank would have had to rise higher than the horizontal runs of the crossovers otherwise oil could enter the vent alarm at the third tank.  The vent pipe out of the second tank would be needed so pressure could be relieved from the second tank after the tanks are full.

I've had blow back on single tanks with vent alarms, especially Roth tanks and I still think the blow back was caused by a restriction in the vent piping if it was piped as shown.
  • Mac_R
    Mac_R Member Posts: 117
    NFPA 31 Regulations

NFPA 31 Standard for the installation of oil-burning equipment 2006 Edition.

7.7.2  Cross-connection of three tanks of not more than 990Gal aggregate capacity to the same oil-burning appliance (s) shall be permitted when the fill and vent piping and the oil supply line to the appliance (s) is installed in accordance with Figure 7.7.2

Photo of 7.7.2 attached. 

What it shows is the fill goes into the first tank, then a 2" crossover into the second tank, then a vent pipe from the second tank to outside.  The third tank will have to have its own fill and vent lines.  Min vent and fill lines are 1-1/4". 

also. 

7.5.11.2 the vent pipe shall be at least as large as the larges fill or withdrawal connection to the tank, but in no case shall it be less than 1-1/4" nominal inside diameter. 
  • icesailor
    3 Tanks:

So, NFPA says you can use three tanks but you can only connect two of them together through the vent and fill. Massachusetts seem to just eliminate the third tank and all the problems that come with it. Massachusetts doesn't say you can't have three tanks, just that you can't fill three tanks from one fill. I guess.

It appears that the poster has an install that doesn't meet NFPA rules.
  • Mac_R
    Mac_R Member Posts: 117
    NFPA 31 Regulations

Yes you can have up to 990 gallons connected to an appliance.  You can only have two tanks at a time piped together for fill and vent.  I forgot to mention.

7.5.6 A maximum of 660 Gal of storage tank capacity shall be permitted to be installed on a higher floor provided the following conditions are met:

(1) the higher floor does not have any floor or open space directly below it.

(2) The higher floor is provided with a liquid tight sill, containment device, or equivalent means having the ability to hold a minimum of 15 percent of the aggregate tank capacity to prevent spilled fuel oil from entering an adjacent, lower area.

7.5.8 Tanks of a capacity between 10 gal and 1320 gal shall not be placed within 5 ft horizontally from any source of heat, either in or external to any liquid fuel-burning appliance, unless separated from the source of heat by a barrier having a 1-hour fire resistance rating extending horizontally at least 1ft past the oil burner or oil tank, whichever is greater, and extending vertically from floor to ceiling.
  • icesailor
    Three Tanks:

It's nice to be informed.

A good oil company would have gone and looked at the install to find out why the tanks burped all over the house. Known what was wrong and told the customer to get it repaired and brought up to code.

There's not enough profit in a gallon of heating oil to cover the cost of an oil spill remediation.
This discussion has been closed.