Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

combination Tee and gate valve

Options
Luv'nsteam
Luv'nsteam Member Posts: 278
I want to place a main vent at the top of my tallest riser (King vent, I think it is called).  I was intending on doing this by using a tee on top of the riser with a reducer bushing and nipple running vertically and the air vent on top, then a short nipple and a straight gate valve running horizontally.  However, I do not have enough width to use this setup.  My idea now, is to use a combination tee and gate valve where the tee would be vertical and the valve would be horizontal and it would be one single assembly.  Without the nipple, I am thinking this setup should be much shorter than assembling the individual components to accomplish this.  However, I have never seen or heard of this kind of valve.  All of that said, has anyone out there in heating-help land seen such an animal?  If so, who makes it or do you know where I can purchase this valve?  Does anyone have any other suggestions to make this happen in a space-constrained application?

Forgot to mention tee and valve are 1 1/4".

Thank you,

Mike

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    venting a riser

how tall is this riser? before you go to all that trouble, i would suggest a gorton "d" on the top radiator, and hoffman 40's on the lower levels. of course the horizontal main to dry return must be also thoroughly vented with gorton #2's.

you will know when you have enough main venting by looking at the back-pressure, during the venting phase, on your good low-pressure gauge. add main vents until the pressure gets down to a few ounces.--nbc
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    edited May 2011
    Options
    "master venting"

What you are explaining is called "master venting".  Try searching the wall on the subject and use the quotation marks with your search.  I read about it awhile back when I was trying to force some steam into a stubborn radiator.  For me, master venting was not necessary.  I tried the Gorton D with a TRV first, as it was the least work.  Luckily it was successful.

Rod posted this diagram that shows 2 methods of riser venting, depending on what you have to work with. 
  • Luv'nsteam
    Luv'nsteam Member Posts: 278
    Options
    Thank you for the reminder

Crash.  You called it correctly: master venting, not king venting.  However, while you hit the nail on the head for the name, I am still left wanting a combination tee and valve in one body.  If I am unable to locate such a beast, I will master vent my second floor radiator, which I am certain will still help.  As I replace the mains, risers, run-outs, etc, I am also adding a line to eventually vacuum the air out with a vacuum pump.  Think of it as a modern version of the Paul-vacuum system.  I will use my tweaked (properly vented and only running on vapor) system for an entire season before I use the pump, so I have a base line with which to compare.

Thank you,

Mike
This discussion has been closed.